Filesystem vs. MySQL for storage of this...

jbog91

Well, I have a question. I have to store an email. This could be anywhere from 500kb to 5mb in size. (mime parts, headers, and all) I will be getting other information about the email from the database. But where should I store the actual email? In the database or in a file? Which would be more efficient and cause less stress on the server? This email will be accessed 24/7 for a bit. (Until it gets sent to all the newsletter subscribers)

I'd probably do a file, but performance wise it's probably more server dependent. If both are running off of the same server it shouldn't be much different (from my understanding), SQL would need to look a little more but not enough to change anything. Also, if it's just one email, a file would be slightly easier to work with.

Well, the mysql server is on the same server. It's going to be multiple emails across multiple users. I guess I'll just go with the mysql route. I shouldn't see much difference, I will be using id's to identify them, not full names so that will equal it out I guess. Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.