Help needed to make this less complicated

almightyegg

On my message board there are 4 vital fields for each topic

id - the id of message

fid - which forum it is in

rid - what message it is a reply to (0 if it is top level post)

pid - it's parent thread/top level thread it has been posted under (0 if top level post)

When viewing a message under neath are links listing messages posted in reply. EG:

Reply 5 - Username

Reply 7 - Username

Reply 6 - Username

Reply 1 - Username

Reply 3 - Username

Reply 4 - Username

Reply 2 - Username

I'm currently using this code to while out the first 5 messages in reply then after that it will show '...more...'

<?
while($r2 = mysql_fetch_array($result2)){
$one = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = '{$r2['username']}'");
$two = mysql_fetch_array($one);
echo "<br><a href=\"/forum/viewthread.php?f=$f&t=$r2[id]\">$r2[title]</a></b> | <a href=\"http://www.lordoftheabyss.com/player/view.php?id=$two[id]\">$r2[username]</a><br>";

$rep1 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM topics WHERE rid = '{$r2['id']}' and fid = '$f' and deleted = 'No'");
$rep = mysql_num_rows($rep1);
if($rep >= 1){
while($reply = mysql_fetch_array($rep1)){
$one = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = '{$reply['username']}'");
echo "          
<b><a href=\"/forum/viewthread.php?f=$f&t=$reply[id]\">$reply[title]</a></b> | <a href=\"http://www.lordoftheabyss.com/player/view.php?id=$two[id]\">$reply[username]</a><br>";

$rep1 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM topics WHERE rid = '{$reply['id']}' and fid = '$f' and deleted = 'No'");
if($rep >= 1){
$one = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = '{$reply['username']}'");
echo "                    
<b><a href=\"/forum/viewthread.php?f=$f&t=$reply[id]\">$reply[title]</a></b> | <a href=\"http://www.lordoftheabyss.com/player/view.php?id=$two[id]\">$reply[username]</a><br>";

$rep1 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM topics WHERE rid = '{$reply['id']}' and fid = '$f' and deleted = 'No'");
if($rep >= 1){
echo "                              

if($rep >= 1){
echo "                                        

if($rep >= 1){
echo "                                                  
...more...<br>";
}
}
}
}
}
}
}
}
}
}
}
?>

problem is, instead of it showing properly, using the above example it will show:

Reply 5 - Username

Reply 7 - Username

Reply 6 - Username

Reply 1 - Username

Reply 2 - Username

as you can see Replies 3 and 4 have gone. Once below the first replies it will only show the oldest message (oldest being the ones with the smallest id) and no others.

so 1) What's wrong with my code?

2) Is there any way I could make this easier to do (shorter code, easier to read/adapt)??? perhaps a functon

anything put forwardwould be greatly appreciated :)

oh and another thing I forgot to mention....

How would I make it so it orders by new posts eg:

Reply 2 - Username

Reply 3 - Username

Reply 8 - Username

Reply 5 - Username

Reply 1 - Username

Reply 4 - Username

Reply 6 - Username

Reply 7 - Username

Notice Reply 2 appears above Reply 1 because the reply at the bottom of its chain is newer than the one at the bottom of reply 1's chain.

Also Reply 3 appears above Reply 5 for the same reason. How do I make it order like this the whole way down???

sorry to have to post again but it won't let me modify my posts :-/

I think I worked out a way to solve my second post here, or at least the method.

I need a function that grabs all the post IDs above a new post.

EG:

Reply 1 - Username

Reply 2 - Username

Reply 3 - Username

Reply 5 - Username

Reply 7 - Username

NEW Reply - Username

Reply 6 - Username

Reply 4 - Username

For this example, upon inserting the row for the NEW Reply, I would select the IDs of Replies 1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 as that is the chain that leads to it.

When I grab these IDs I would update their rows.

Column updatetimestamp would be updated to the newest post's timestamp. This way, when whiling/using a function to echo out the replies to a topic, I can order them by updatetimestamp

I think that makes sense anyways. If you need me to explain again I can try

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.