[SOLVED] md5 and post

scottybwoy

I have a signup form that encrypts the password into md5 format, which then stores it in to the database.

I then have a login section that translates the password into md5 to check against the stored version.  However the one that is entered and posted via a password field, results in a different md5 hash, is this due to the nature of the password field or post, if so what is the best way to store an encrypted password and then compare it?

Thanks in advance.

hmm, well no i'm not using a js md5 func, it's pure php.  The php md5's the pass during signup and converts the one entered at login, however the one created at signup is 5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99 and when inserted at login returns d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

Any more suggestions?

Well that just doesn't make sense. Are you 100% sure you're entering the same password? Perhaps there's an extra character in one of them somewhere?

The string 'password' generates your first hash - 5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99 - so the register appears to be working ok; perhaps there is an issue with your login script.

This is what is invoked when login is clicked:

<?php
$username = $_POST['username'];
$password = $_POST['password'];
$password = md5($password);
Central::login($username, $password);
?>

This is the login script:

<?php

function login($username, $password) {
	echo $password;
	$sql = "SELECT f_name FROM members WHERE email = '" . $username . "' AND password = '" . $password . "'";

if ($qry = mysql_query(mysql_real_escape_string($sql))) {
		$_SESSION['USERNAME'] = mysql_result($qry, 0);
	} else {
		trigger_error("You did not enter valid credentials, Please try again.", E_USER_WARNING);
	}
}
?>

The echo is just to tell me what it's looking for.  Should be really simple.

Can you see where it's going wrong?

I just tried this...

$p = $_POST['nowt'];
$sum = md5($p);
echo $sum;

Obviously the form element 'nowt' doesn't exist, but it gave the following sum:

d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

Look similar? Look for a spelling mistake in your form!

lol don't you just love the manytrix...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.