Ubuntu Server Help - setting up a testing server in VirtualBox

bronzemonkey

I'd like some help/advice with setting up an Ubuntu testing server in VirtualBox. The ubuntu forums/guides have still left me a little at sea.

I'm looking to experiment with php, test my websites, and learn how to use WordPress/Textpattern. The problem is that I am completely lost and have already failed in my first attempt at setting up this server because I have zero experience with Linux or servers.

I've already got VirtualBox, the Ubuntu Server Edition ISO, and a guide to getting the two working together. But which of these two installation guides is the most appropriate for my needs? How do I even comment out, save, and exit from the files they say to edit?

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-704-feisty-fawn-lamp-server-setup.html

http://howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu704

Once I've completed either of these guides, and installed the GUI, where do I go from here? How can I get to the point where I can transfer files from my Vista (Host) OS onto the server and then view the webpages that it outputs? What about viewing the webpages from within another VM (my IE6 testing VM)?

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure Ubuntu server edition comes preconfigured with Apache, PHP and Mysql ready to go. Ive never used any virtualbox but I assume all you would need to do is follow the prompts. Ubuntu is about the easiest Linux there is to install. From there, you could just FTP your site into place.

PS: You should not setup a gui on a server.

A GUI isn't advisable but is helpful for beginners.

Anyway, in my latest attempt I am not using the GUI. The Ubuntu Server Edition does allow you to install LAMP straight away, that is the easy part, I am having trouble with the whole network/server-IP part and how to access the server from my host system.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.