what the heck is up with the server(s)?

Liquid Fire

On this site?  That isn't the server going down. He have a limited number of mysql connections and what your seeing is the result of more people on the site than our mysql server has connections for.  We could raise the resources, but that costs money we don't have. But if you would like to donate for a server upgrade, I'm sure Eric would be happy to do so.  :-\

Also, consider that this question has been asked in the @PHPFreaks board at least three times that I know of. Always the same question, always the same answer.

it is part of webhostfreaks and serverpowered, but it still costs Eric money. I mean look at it this way.  The hosting/servers that he puts towards PHPFreaks is servers/hosting that he can't put towards clients who pay money.  Therefore, he has given us the best he can, but you can only put so much into a community.  Also consider that the mysql server only goes down in transition hours, that is hours when people on one side of the world are just about to go to bed right as people on the other side are just waking up.  You got both sides of the world hitting the servers at around the same time, for about a 1-2 hour time span.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.