Why am I not allowed to send PM?

314lab

• 2 months later...

IMO, this needs a rethink !

I have not made 10 posts because I am a PHP noob, so I doubt I could make 10 useful posts - they would have to be spam!

I have been sent a PM by someone with a similar problem to one that I had and solved, he wants me to explain how I fixed it - But of course, I CANNOT EVEN REPLY to his PM !!

makes me seem like I don't want to provide help - just receive it!

I'm also getting a warning saying:

"this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.

Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

#1 it would be a flamable offence to start a new topic when one already exists..."use seach u stupid noob etc, etc..."

#2 I AM NOT ALLOWED TO START A TOPIC !... I started one a while back, posted my problem got some help, thanked the folks who advised me... there was no spam, it was all very civilized... so why have I been demoted/penalized ?

I guess now, no beginners should join this board ?

If you are a beginner, you cannot advise others, so the only point in being here is to get some help, but you cannot start a new topic, and you cannot use PMs... the only way to get a post count high enough would be to post spam like:

"wow, I have the same problems, can we be friends?"

or

"that sounds tricky mate, sorry I can't help, but I need to increase my post count..."

And this is supposed to prevent Spam ? lol !

I guess in the future, until I get enough posts, or get banned, I will have to try hijacking threads if I have a problem and need help ?

what is wrong with giving peeps the benefit of the doubt ?

put a posts per minute limit on the board to prevent mass spamming, and have moderators block users who spam - seems like a simple approach to me, and it works on all the other fora that I frequent.

what say you phpfreaks ?

cheers (although annoyed and frustrated ones)

Col

I have not made 10 posts because I am a PHP noob, so I doubt I could make 10 useful posts - they would have to be spam!

It can be any type of post, it doesn't have to be where you help people. You could for example introduce yourself here or here. You could tell us which editor you prefer. There are plenty of things you can post without it being in a help post or without being spam.

#1 it would be a flamable offence to start a new topic when one already exists..."use seach u stupid noob etc, etc..."

I'm not under the impression that people respond like that in this forum.

#2 I AM NOT ALLOWED TO START A TOPIC !... I started one a while back, posted my problem got some help, thanked the folks who advised me... there was no spam, it was all very civilized... so why have I been demoted/penalized ?

Where does it say you're not allowed to start a new topic? ???

If you mean the message that appears if you try to reply to old topics then it's just that... a message. It doesn't enforce anything. There is no artificial intelligence on this forum so it doesn't know what kind of reply you are trying to create. It's just that sometimes it might be inappropriate to bump an old topic to the top, sometimes it isn't though and in that case you can just ignore the message.

put a posts per minute limit on the board to prevent mass spamming, and have moderators block users who spam - seems like a simple approach to me, and it works on all the other fora that I frequent.

Unfortunately that is was not the problem. It was that people registered and started spamming people using PMs. AFAIK there are no posting restrictions.

I have been sent a PM by someone with a similar problem to one that I had and solved, he wants me to explain how I fixed it - But of course, I CANNOT EVEN REPLY to his PM !!

I suppose there could be a message showing the sender that the recipient cannot reply, but that's a suggestion you should make to SMF and not PHP Freaks.

Unfortunately that is was not the problem. It was that people registered and started spamming people using PMs. AFAIK there are no posting restrictions.

Apologies for my post - it was a bit over the top. I just got annoyed when I couldn't reply to a PM in order to help someone out, so wasn't being very level headed  :-[

It is bad when people choose to ask questions via PM when they should be asking on the public forum  - not sure why this happens, but it seems to be getting more and more common on the web these days. I usually try to answer the PM but also suggest that the discussion should be continued on the public forum or not at all... I wonder if folks are lying about their skills in job applications, then PMing from work to avoid being found out ?

cheers

Col

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.