[SOLVED] Redesigning database

jaymc

Ok, at current, my database structure is not very normalised, so ive decided its time to recuperate

In my members table I have the usual stuff you would expect

username

fullname

password

ip address

last login

registered

Then I have all there profile data in there aswell

sexuality

relationship

fav food

So, ive decided to split that table in half, but my problem is... how do I decide what to take over to my 'profile_info' table

gender could go in members table... but it also applies just as much to the profile_info

What should I be taking into account when I make these decisions?

To add onto this, I have an INFO field, where a member can enter up to 1000 chars about themselves

Would this be better off in its own table?

If that was the case... when accessing there profile it would require 3 joins to get the required data (members, profile_info, person_INFO), where as at the moment, its just one query as all of the data I need is contained in the members table

So, to sum it up, if I'm partioning tables, how do I decide what needs to be where

Feedback greatly apreciated! This will be a big project of mine and it must be a success, no time for trial and error with this one as its a large database

All uses hava a member row, which contains all the information when registering

long as gender, location, sexuality, relationship, and fav food are actually IDs that point to separate tables

Huh? Why would they need to point to seperate tables, and why ID's?

Check the screenshots below, one is the table structure and the other is sample data

What I was thinking, data such as email is never used in any of my scripts, apart from mailshots etc which get executed monthly. Is that the sort of data that should be in another table?

Also, the last songs field, that is only used when viewing someones profile to see the last songs they listened to

[attachment deleted by admin]

I think I see where you're going. Yes, you could make the user table only login-credential specific, and create a profile table that would have a foreign key linking to the user table.

Huh? Why would they need to point to seperate tables, and why ID's?

How is this input controlled and/or updated? Is it hard-coded into the system?

Its all hard coded yes

Typical example, for every 3 minutes there logged into the site an AJAX refreshed will fetch a script and update there last action

Currently, there last action is in the members table with there login credentials and profile data etc..

The thing I dont like about splitting tables up and using joins, surely its like doing 3 seperate queries?

Surely its better to fetch one row of data and get everything you need rather than 3 seperate tables..

Fields like location and favorite food are hard-coded? This isn't very scalable. You've been concerned about joins, and in turn are shy about normalization.

I would create a user table that is only login-specific and another table that is profile-specific. When the user logs in, store their ID in a session/cookie and use it to access the profile table and make any needed joins. This gives you only 1 join at minimum.

Sorry, location is hard coded as in they have a selection of 50 cities, food can be anything

So to sum it up... is it  much better to split a table into 2 tables and use joins which will act as 2 queries to get one set of data

as aposed to

a table with more fields but needing on one query to pull data

Ive been reading up on this for the last week and cant seem to find any performance documentation on whether its actually better to use split tables and joins.

In theory in my mind it could work both ways..

I just dont want to redesign my database structure and load get worse

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.