From 4.1 to 5

jaymc

I'm wondering if its worth me upgrading mysql from 4.1 to version 5

In practice do servers generally perform better  by simple upgrading to mysql 5, or does it depend on certain things...

For instance if version 5 better handles indexes faster or what ever..

Just trying to gether info before I decide whether to do a full upgrade and go live

Thanks

I'm wondering if its worth me upgrading mysql from 4.1 to version 5

In practice do servers generally perform better  by simple upgrading to mysql 5, or does it depend on certain things...

For instance if version 5 better handles indexes faster or what ever..

Just trying to gether info before I decide whether to do a full upgrade and go live

Thanks

I don't understand your fascination with performance issues... everything comes at a price.

Haha! What do you mean everythnig comes at a price?

Yeh my fascination is due to having plans to maximize an already very busy website. I want to know as much as I can to prevent the possibility of hitting bottle knecks in the future

If I can create a system capable of 5X what I expect I can sit back and let the system run itself and the members build up.

Ive paid the price in the past for not designing my systems so I want to get it spot on

So yeh, elaborate on the price..

What are you suggesting will suffer?

Whatever you're not optimizing... for example, mysql 5 has merge indices, so that you can use multiple keys on a single table.  Sounds great, right? Well what about all those queries where this would be disastrous?  Like almost every old query you've ever written? No so simple.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.