Max Value from a joined table

gameshints

Hello!  I'm working on a project where the database structure was already setup by somebody else... so I want to see if I can get the data I want without modifying the way data is stored too much.

I have a table:

"reports"

report_idtext

1text

2text

3text

And a table:

"report_updates"

update_idreport_idreplydatetime

11reply text2007-06-0612:22:34

21reply text2007-06-0115:34:22

33reply text2007-01-0122:11:11

Basically, I want a list of all the reports with the date of the latest reply.  So I tried this:

SELECT * , MAX( report_updates.date )
FROM reports, report_updates
WHERE reports.report_id = report_updates.report_id
GROUP BY reports.report_id

Which pretty much works, except it doesn't return report #2, because there aren't any replies for it.

Also, is there a way I can gnab the reply with the max date + time?  If I ask for the max(date) and max(time), they could not unnecessarily be from the same reply.  (it would return 2007-06-06 as the max date, and 15:34:22 as the time... which are not from the same report reply)

Any insight to either of my problems would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Well, this corrected the missing #2 problem:

SELECT *, MAX(report_updates.date) FROM reports LEFT JOIN report_updates ON reports.report_id = report_updates.report_id GROUP BY reports.report_id

But it's not joining the report_update with the latest (max) date... instead it's returning the first report_update it finds where the report_id matches.

Well, this corrected the missing #2 problem:

SELECT *, MAX(report_updates.date) FROM reports LEFT JOIN report_updates ON reports.report_id = report_updates.report_id GROUP BY reports.report_id

But it's not joining the report_update with the latest (max) date... instead it's returning the first report_update it finds where the report_id matches.

That's right... as I said earlier, you'll have to pull the tuples out first, then match them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.