GROUP_CONCAT

kirk112

Hi,

I am trying to group fields together, which I have managed using GROUP_CONCAT, but when I concat on a SMALLINT datatype the results is return as

ls_id  locations 

1      [bLOB - 2 Bytes]

2      [bLOB - 2 Bytes]

instead of

ls_id  locations 

1      '1', '2'

2      '1', '3'

This is the query that I have been using.

SELECT ls_id, GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT(ls_id), '\''  SEPARATOR ',\'') AS locations FROM ip_locations AS ip

LEFT JOIN location_specific AS ls ON ls.specific_id = ip.ls_id

WHERE ip.ip_code IN ('A1', 'A2', 'A3', 'A4') GROUP BY ls_id

Does anyone know where I am going wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Barand I have removed the GROUP BY ls_id and I am still getting the same incorrect results

I have been running this query in phpMyAdmin.

If I run this query and replace GROUP_CONCAT(ls_id) to a varchar field (instead of an smallint) it run correctly, does anyone have any idea on where to start debugging this I have been going around in circles for days

Thanks!

No idea why this works but if I change the original query to

SELECT ls_id, CONCAT('\'', GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT(ls_id), '\'' SEPARATOR ',\'')) AS locations FROM ip_locations AS ip

LEFT JOIN location_specific AS ls ON ls.specific_id = ip.ls_id

WHERE ip.ip_code IN ('A1', 'A2', 'A3', 'A4') GROUP BY ls_id

it works perfect, but a soon as I remove the first concat, it reverts back to giving me all the results as a blob.

Any ideas why??

Thanks Barand for your help, got myself mixed up with the fields that I wanted to select, should be able to work it out after I have gotten some sleep.

Thanks again everyone!

Ah yes, I forgot about that bug... came across that one a long time ago while using an ODBC driver using an older version of the connector (not that I can find any refererence to it anymore).  Apparently, it gets confused and "forgets" to stringify it.

Hi Fenway, thanks for your response explained a lot.

Just one more thing when using group_concat it always retrieves one row even if the where does not match any fields, I can over come this by using 'having length'  but this seems a little bit messy, just wondering if there is a better way to achieve this?

SELECT CONCAT('\'',GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT(ls_id), '\''  SEPARATOR ',\'')) AS locations FROM ip_locations AS ip WHERE ip.ip_code = 'jkj' HAVING length(locations) > 0

Again thanks for your time

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.