[SOLVED] Help with adding a Sort feature to my page

snteran

I have gone through some of the sort postings but I am still unable to get mine to work properly.  I imagine since I have been piecing my page together, I have not used a clear cut way of designing my page.  The issue is that I'm not a programmer and have limited knowledge of PHP.  I seem to be getting the basics but some of the more advanced issues seem to make my head spin.

I want to add four links at the top of my page that will allow the user to select which way they want to sort.

I was just going to start with one and then I would be able to duplicate as needed.

<td align="center">Sort by: <a href=\"<?php echo ".$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."?sort=itc_tickets.ticket_status\?>">Status</a></td>

My select code is as follows:

$sort = (isset($_GET['sort'])) ? $_GET['sort'] : "itc_status_listing.status_level";

$query_asset_details="SELECT itc_tickets.ticket_nbr, itc_tickets.ticket_status, itc_tickets.ticket_category, itc_tickets.ticket_priority, itc_tickets.issued_by, itc_tickets.assigned_to, itc_tickets.lastupdt_date, itc_tickets.create_date, itc_tickets.description FROM itc_tickets, itc_priority_listing, itc_status_listing WHERE itc_tickets.ticket_status = 'closed' AND itc_tickets.ticket_priority = itc_priority_listing.priority_name AND itc_tickets.ticket_status = itc_status_listing.status_name ORDER BY $sort ASC, itc_priority_listing.priority_level ASC, itc_tickets.create_date DESC,  itc_tickets.ticket_nbr ASC LIMIT $recordstart, $pagesize";        
$result = mysql_query($query_asset_details) or die("Error: " . mysql_error()); 

Now I would think with the a href the user would click on the option and then the isset would allow for the order by to be altered to the desired sort option.

Of course my <a href is not working and I'm not sure how to add the php code to make it work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A simple example.

<?php

echo "Order by  <a href='?orderby=foo'>foo</a><br />";
  echo "Order by  <a href='?orderby=bar'>bar</a><br />";
  echo "Order by  <a href='?orderby=bob'>bob</a><br />";

if (isset($_GET['orderby'])) {
    $valid = array('foo','bar','bob'); // valid fields.
    if (in_array($_GET['orderby'],$valid)) {
      $orderby = $_GET['orderby'];
    } else {
      $orderby = 'foo'; // default.
    }
  } else {
    $orderby = 'foo'; // default.
  }

// as an example, i'll just echo our query.
  $sql = "SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY $orderby;";
  echo $sql;

?>

Hope this helps.

Actually, your problem may just be your link. Can we see the actual code that creates your links?

Yes, I have a page called Closed.php and within that page I have all the code for the links.  The only code is what I have shown.

<td align="center">Sort by: <a href=\"<?php echo ".$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']."?sort=itc_tickets.ticket_status?>">Status</a></td>

We got it!  Thanks for the help.  I figured there had to be a way to pass the value, I was just not sure how to pass it through.

if (isset($_GET['orderby'])) {
    $valid = array('itc_tickets.ticket_priority','itc_tickets.ticket_status','itc_tickets.ticket_category','itc_tickets.lastupdt_date'); // valid fields.
    if (in_array($_GET['orderby'],$valid)) {
      $orderby = $_GET['orderby'];
    } else {
      $orderby = 'itc_status_listing.status_level'; // default.
    }
  } else {
    $orderby = 'itc_status_listing.status_level'; // default.
  }
$query_asset_details="SELECT itc_tickets.ticket_nbr, itc_tickets.ticket_status, itc_tickets.ticket_category, itc_tickets.ticket_priority, itc_tickets.issued_by, itc_tickets.assigned_to, itc_tickets.lastupdt_date, itc_tickets.create_date, itc_tickets.description FROM itc_tickets, itc_priority_listing, itc_status_listing WHERE itc_tickets.ticket_status = 'closed' AND itc_tickets.ticket_priority = itc_priority_listing.priority_name AND itc_tickets.ticket_status = itc_status_listing.status_name ORDER BY $orderby ASC, itc_priority_listing.priority_level ASC, itc_tickets.create_date DESC,  itc_tickets.ticket_nbr ASC LIMIT $recordstart, $pagesize";        
$result = mysql_query($query_asset_details) or die("Error: " . mysql_error()); 

And then here are the links.

<?php
  echo "Order by  <a href='?orderby=itc_tickets.ticket_priority'>Priority</a>  |";
  echo "Order by  <a href='?orderby=itc_tickets.ticket_category'>Category</a>  |";
  echo "Order by  <a href='?orderby=itc_tickets.lastupdt_date'>Last Updated</a>"; ?>

the page is a bit messy, but it works.

Thanks again!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.