--------------------

$file = fopen("text.txt","r") or exit("file not found biatch");

while(!feof($file))

{

echo fgets($file)." ";

}

fclose($file);   

-------------------

all source files located in my: 'C:\wamp\www' folder. but when i try to force error aka  change 'text.txt' to 'tex2.txt' i get a this warning:

Warning: fopen(tyext.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\wamp\www\test.php on line 35

and my exit message. why?

i know this is a split second q.. but noobs have to start somewhere lol.

steve :-\

If you don't want the PHP error message to appear, but you do want your error to appear, use the "@" symbol before the function. This symbol suppresses the error message.

<?php
$file = @fopen("text.txt","r") or die("file not found biatch");

while(!feof($file))
   {
   echo fgets($file)." ";
   }
   fclose($file);
?>

BTW, "or die" and "or exit" are the same.

Ken

that worked! thanks. question still remains; what need is their for an exit in this example (as shown on w3s) if both the exit message and the php error appears at the same time..hmm

and what does the "@" represent/how is it used (i did not find a ref in the php manual).

thanks knerbnsn ;D

To add to Ken's statement....If your PHP ini was set to not display warnings (as it should be on a production/live server) then you would not see the warning message. The '@' symbol in front of a function is used to supress any warnings that the function may throw on it's running. As it's only a warning (as opposed to a 'fatal error')the script would continue to run and as ken said, display any further warnings / errors that your script may have.

The exit/die statement will kill the script exactly where it is, thus resulting in no further errors being displayed.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.