Query involving 2 variables

padams

I've got a query that works when I do it directly in phpmyadmin but doesn't work on my site.

There are two variables sent from a previous page and are integrated into the WHERE part of the query. It worked fine when there was only the teamID ($team), but as soon as I added the season ($season) as well, using a WHERE...AND... syntax, it gave me the error "Unknown column 'tries.trySeason' in 'where clause'" - but there is a trySeason field in the table!

When I echo the query, it appears as "SELECT tries.playerID, players.playerFirstName, players.playerLastName, COUNT(tries.playerID) as triesscored FROM tries JOIN players ON tries.playerID = players.playerID WHERE tries.tryTeam = '1' AND tries.trySeason = '2002' GROUP BY tries.playerID ORDER BY triesscored DESC", and if I paste this into phpmyadmin it works fine, just not on the site.

if (isset($_GET['season'])) {

$season = $_GET['season'];

} else {

$season = 2002;

}

if (isset($_GET['teamID'])) {

$team = $_GET['teamID'];

} else {

$team = 1;

}

$tries = "SELECT tries.playerID, players.playerFirstName, players.playerLastName, COUNT(tries.playerID) as triesscored FROM tries JOIN players ON tries.playerID = players.playerID WHERE tries.tryTeam = '".$team."' AND tries.trySeason = '".$season."' GROUP BY tries.playerID ORDER BY triesscored DESC";

Yes. Full code is below:

if (isset($_GET['season'])) {

$season = $_GET['season'];

} else {

$season = 2002;

}

if (isset($_GET['teamID'])) {

$team = $_GET['teamID'];

} else {

$team = 1;

}

$tries = "SELECT tries.playerID, players.playerFirstName, players.playerLastName, COUNT(tries.playerID) as triesscored FROM tries JOIN players ON tries.playerID = players.playerID WHERE tries.tryTeam = '".$team."' AND tries.trySeason = '".$season."' GROUP BY tries.playerID ORDER BY triesscored DESC";

echo $tries;

$tries_query = mysql_query($tries) or die(mysql_error());

$rsTries = mysql_fetch_assoc($tries_query);

triesscored was an alias, created by COUNT(tries.playerID) as triesscored

I was able to successfully ORDER BY triesscored when there was only one WHERE condition, but as soon as I've added the AND tries.trySeason = '".$season."' I get the error.

tries.trySeason is a column in the table.

When I echo the query and then copy it into phpmyadmin and run it there it works fine.

Would the fact that the information being sent from the previous page via GET is an integer affect how I insert the variables into the query?

I removed the quote marks around the variable and it seems to be working.

$tries = "SELECT tries.playerID, players.playerFirstName, players.playerLastName, COUNT(tries.playerID) as triesscored FROM tries JOIN players ON tries.playerID = players.playerID WHERE tries.tryTeam = $team AND tries.trySeason = $season GROUP BY tries.playerID ORDER BY triesscored DESC";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.