Firefox

SJames

I'm sorry that this doesn't have much to do with PHP... Does anybody know where I can find a list of common errors that make websites look different in Firefox than internet Explorer?

Ex: HTML and CSS tags that are interpreted differently between browsers.

I'm sorry that this doesn't have much to do with PHP... Does anybody know where I can find a list of common errors that make websites look different in Firefox than internet Explorer?

There are a lot of differences between the two, but most of them are minor.

Be wary with tables. IE6/6 accepts "0%" width, but I believe FF does not.

IE spaces table columns quite nicely and allocates necessary space very nicely.

Default FF fonts are smaller than with IE. Sometimes a dirrerent font is used.

FF returns different sizes for some objects (like window sizes), so if you want to place or resize an object, you may have to take that into account.

I've had "real trouble" making FireFox accept external CSS files, so I tend to do it a little differently; by including the header lines in the external file and use a php include instead. This method allows you to also use php in the css file, so you can use variables.

I recommend this: Write for IE7, but test your pages with the W3C Markup Validator.

I believe FireFox will disappear -- unless they take a quantum leap. Like it or not, but Microsoft is strong enough to take up the fight. And they will.

Basically when a site is screwed up and/or isn't standards compliant and/or is tag soup, then it will often be messed up in browsers not designed to parse tag soup (basically any browser except ie).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.