globals and $_POST

alcarter

I am a novice at PHP but have been programming in other languages for quite a while.  I am having trouble recalling global variables.  In other languages (VB for instance) if you want a variable to be visible throughout an application you declare it as Public.  I have tried to use the global on variables but they still are not visible when I try to recall the values.  The same with $_POST varibles. I do a POST and then load another form and the POST variable is available.  If the next form has a POST action all the variables go away.

Hope this makes sense to someone

You cannot declare variables globally in php. However, ou can use the global keyword to bring a variable into a function. eg;

<?php

$s = 'hello';

function foo() {
    global $s;
    echo $s;
  }

foo();

?>

As for the post thing, we might need a clearer explination. The $_POST, $_GET, $_SESSION, $_COOKIE and $_FILES arrays are all global in nature and should be available anywhere.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.