placing 2 images on body

knowram

I have 2 images that would like to use as a background. The first is going to be used to bake a simple bar at the top of the page. I want this bar to cover the full width of the page and up to the top. Te second is the background image which I want to place under the bar and in the upper left corner.

These are the things I have tried

body{
background-image: url('Images/head.png');
background-repeat: repeat-x;
}

bground{
background-image: url('Images/background_compass.gif');
background-repeat: no-repeat;
}

As expected I only see the second image.

body{
}

div.body{
}
<body link="black" vlink="black" alink="black">
	<div class="body">
	<br>
	hello</div>
</body>
</html>

the compass.gif image is on top of the head image and doesn't go all the way to the edge of the page.

div.body{
}

body{
}

<body link="black" vlink="black" alink="black">
	<div class="body">
	<br>
	hello</div>
</body>
</html>

This is the closest I could get. The images are in the right order but there is a gap between the head image and the top and sides of the page.

Any ideas? there must be a way to do this.

Thanks

Just a guess, try "margin:0;padding:0;" on the body.

As far as i know its still not possible to place two background images on the same element, you could fake it by creating a wrapper with "width:100%;height:100%;" and place the images in two separate divs. I.E footer and header.

Here is why the first try didn't work: "bground" is not a valid tag - make it an id "#bground"or class ".bground".

Possible solution to 2nd attempt (I used css shorthand for the entire "background" instead of listing each separately) - make div.body an id selector instead of class (you only use it once per page) set the positioning of both backgrounds to "top left". Designate the 100% width of the body tag and designate the width and height of compass.gif as the width and height of the #body. Last and most important, set #body margin-top to 1px more than the height of the head.png height.

What you want is for the #body to have a margin from the top of the window that equals slightly more than the height of head.png:

body{
background: url('Images/head.png') top left repeat-x;
width:100%;
margin:0;
}

#body{
background: url('Images/background_compass.gif') top left no-repeat;
width:whatever background_compass.gif is.px;
height:whatever background_compass.gif is.px;
margin-top:whatever head.png height is plus 1px
}

And, while you are using css, lose the old markup level body links color tags! Designate the link colors with css - add a hover color change so visiters know they are selecting the right link (always designate links in the following order - a:link, a:visited then a:hover, a:active:

a:link, a:visited {color:#000000}
a:hover, a:active {color:#800000}

But! CSS relies heavily on proper html structure and tag usage. You can have the perfect CSS that would otherwise work like a charm, but if you don't use a correct DOCTYPE, and you have errors or typos for ANY element within your body tags, the CSS will not work as intended.

Are you using a DOCTYPE? Or does your page begin with just an "html" tag?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.