ON UPDATE CASCADE problem

tofuwarrior

Hi All,

This is my first time with foreign keys and I can see they are amazing but this has me stumped.

Any help, really gratefully received,

I have 2 tables

cms_objects

cms_users.

Each has an id column.

I have set up a foreign key on cms_users.id referencing cms_objects.id with ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE

When I delete from cms_objects it cascades fine and deletes the relevant cms_users record.

BUT when I for example try to update a row in cms_objects which has id =1(exists in cms_users) to be id =15 the change does not cascade changing the cms_users id 1 to be 15.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

TW

My guess is you try to change an id on something and then it tries to update the id on the other table, but there the id is a unique value field and most likely also auto_increment, which will wreak havoc. MySQL knows that and does not allow it by default. Look at the manual around for the cascade descriptions, i thought i saw it mentioned there.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.