click.......Download

ebizzle

I am a musician and I am making a site that Clients can go to and download the bass tracks I just recorded.  In the recording industry the standard for music files is .wav  This is so all music files are cross compatible.  Wave files are huge files an average song is around 800mb.  So thats why I thought I needed to use PHP.  A friend of mine told me that I would also have to update the php.ini file to allow for such huge downloads.  Basically I am at a loss I feel like I have some pieces to this "download puzzle" and any help would be appreciated.  I apologize in advance if I sound like an Idiot to you, But if any of you guys have any questions about bass im your man thanks... ;D

No song should ever be 800mb unless it's like 2 hours long lol.  (Well, scratch that never....  Shouldn't usually ;p)

Apache or what ever web server you're using should handle the wav files fine.  If you're running them through a PHP script or something, you might need to change the max memory thing in the php.ini, but that should be it, and if you code the script using a filestream you might not even need to do that.

Yeah I feel the same way. ha ha..

Wave files are HUGE!! and if you add a file with 24 tracks or so it adds up. 

Basically the wav file is a file that not only contains the track information IE the soundwave, but it also contains all of the EQ/effects/normalizing/maximizing/reverb...etc whatever else Iv added to the track. 

Alot of the clients I work with arent very internet savvy....then again neither am I...

So FTP is basically out of the question. 

Thanks so much for your help so far.... Maybe you guys know a good site with a good tutorial on click download scripts..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.