[SOLVED] phpMyadmin "Invalid Server Index"

Darkwaldo

Sounds like a config problem... can you access the database directly?

I'm afraid I don't know how. 

I haven't created a database yet, and the book I am using to get the operating environment up and running does not say anything about creating a data base for phpmyadmin to work correctly.

I think what fenyway means by "directly" is creating a database through mysql itself (via the command line) rather than using a third party app to manage mysql.

However I think the invalid server index message is to do with phpmyadmins configuration file. To sort the error see if the following sorts it out:

Go the libraries folder inside phpmyadmin and copy a file called config.default.php to the root of your phpmyadmin folder. Rename this file to config.inc.php (make sure you remove/rename the existing config.inc.php file). Edit the new config.inc.php to your mysql server settings.

Try running phpmyadmin again.

I think what fenyway means by "directly" is creating a database through mysql itself (via the command line) rather than using a third party app to manage mysql.

However I think the invalid server index message is to do with phpmyadmins configuration file. To sort the error see if the following sorts it out:

Go the libraries folder inside phpmyadmin and copy a file called config.default.php to the root of your phpmyadmin folder. Rename this file to config.inc.php (make sure you remove/rename the existing config.inc.php file). Edit the new config.inc.php to your mysql server settings.

Try running phpmyadmin again.

It worked!

As always, thank you for your help, wildteen.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.