About what kind of hosting will a PHP site need if it gets a lot of traffic?

tibberous

I am about ready to launch what I hope is going to be a popular website - PHP / mysql driven, images, no videos. Right now I have VPS hosting, but was thinking of getting a dedicated Sempron package from server powered.

I'm really not sure what I need, just know I want it to be stable and fast. Even with the VPS I'll probably stay below my usage, I'm looking more at speed than anything. Is there some kind of guidelines or something? Like, to be able to handle 20k hits / day, would a VPS cut it? 40k? more?

If I undershoot, I'll have to move after the sites up, but if I overshoot, I could loose money on a site that flops =/

Anyone has any advice?

First of all, bandwidth determines the amount of "data" that will flow from and to your site. Make sure you don't exceed this or there will be some consequences.

If you want speed, you need to have more than 1 server to handle a load of people. That's basically all I can say, unless you give more specific information about your site.

If I undershoot, I'll have to move after the sites up, but if I overshoot, I could loose money on a site that flops =/

Anyone has any advice?

If you are on a tight budget I would suggest going with a smaller hosting package and moving up when it is needed. It is not really that hard to move your site. If you do things the "right" way and use svn, it would be as simple as svn checkout http://youroldside.com/path/to/your_svn_repository and then transfer the database(s) over..(assuming you have svn on both machines).

Dude.. this is not even remotely close to being on topic.. this forum is for php help..

go somewhere else

Would you care to read the description of this forum?

Miscellaneous Topics that do not fall into all of the other forums. You can have personal discussions here about the weather, your car, your dog or whatever.. Have fun :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.