Optimized mass PM

Norsk.Firefox

Hello,

I'm working on a private messages (PM from now) system. I's able for the admins to send a PM to everybody, but which case is the best?

One table with one PM for each user, (id, to_id, title, msg, time and read)

Or two tables, one with the PM, and one witch control the read/deleted info.

The First one will have a message pr user, for every mass PM. (If I send 3 PMs to 10000 users, it will create 30 000 rows.)

The second one will have one row for each mass PM, and when the user read the PM it creates a row in the second table witch tell my function that the user has read the PM. This is cleaned after the mail has been in the inbox for a month or something.

Witch is the most effective?

Personally, I think that the second method would be much faster.

It would create the PM instantly instead of maybe taking a lot of time (and space).

And also, the system won't be slowed down by users that don't visit the site anymore.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.