MySQL/PHP Selection and Ordering Results

mattbrand

Hey folks.

I have a table of products that has a name and a description field. I have a fulltext index on both the fields, because I want to do a search that looks in both fields.

My problem is that I want to sort the results by products that have the keyword in the name first, followed by those that only have the keyword in the description.

And I have no idea how to do it. Here is my statement:

select * from luna_products where match(luna_products_name,luna_products_description) against ('$keywordlist')

Thanks for any and all help.

You'd have to fulltext index each column separately if you want to treat them differently for sorting.

OK. Thanks for the advice. So I created a fulltext index on each column separately, as suggested. And I am now playing around with relevance for the results.

So far, this query works for me:

$query = "SELECT * FROM luna_products WHERE (MATCH(luna_products_name) AGAINST ('$keywordlist') + MATCH(luna_products_description) AGAINST('$keywordlist'))";

But now I want to order the results based on name first, then description. I think ultimately my query should look like this:

$query = "SELECT MATCH(luna_products_name) AGAINST('$keywordlist') AS relevance_title,

MATCH(luna_products_description) AGAINST('$keywordlist') AS relevance_description,

* FROM luna_products WHERE (MATCH(luna_products_name) AGAINST ('$keywordlist')) +

(MATCH(luna_products_description) AGAINST ('$keywordlist'))

ORDER BY relevance_title DESC,relevance_description DESC";

However, when I add the additional match statements to the beginning of the query in order to generate the relevance fields, I then get nothing in my results. I have tried it with and without the order section at the end, with no results either way.

Any additional advice is greatly appreciated.

I'd leave your original where clause intact, and just use the individual relevances for the scoring/ordering.

I am unsure how to do that without adding the match statements to the beginning of the select...

You should add them to the select... just not the where clause.

I'd leave your original where clause intact, and just use the individual relevances for the scoring/ordering.

I am unsure how to do that without adding the match statements to the beginning of the select...

You should add them to the select... just not the where clause.

I am kinda confused as to specifically how to do that. Sorry if I sound dumb...

I think you may be saying to do it like this:

$ProductsSelectStrStart = "SELECT * FROM luna_products WHERE (MATCH(luna_products_name) AGAINST ('$keywordlist')) +

(MATCH(luna_products_description) AGAINST ('$keywordlist')),

MATCH(luna_products_name) AGAINST('$keywordlist') AS relevance_title,

MATCH(luna_products_description) AGAINST('$keywordlist') AS relevance_description

ORDER BY relevance_title DESC,relevance_description DESC";

I took the 2 match statements that generate the relevance information, and put them after the where clause. But that still gives me no results...

I mean this.

SELECT MATCH(luna_products_name) AGAINST('$keywordlist') AS relevance_title,
MATCH(luna_products_description) AGAINST('$keywordlist') AS relevance_description,
* FROM luna_products where match(luna_products_name,luna_products_description) against ('$keywordlist')
ORDER BY relevance_title DESC,relevance_description DESC

I mean this.

SELECT MATCH(luna_products_name) AGAINST('$keywordlist') AS relevance_title,
* FROM luna_products where match(luna_products_name,luna_products_description) against ('$keywordlist')
ORDER BY relevance_title DESC,relevance_description DESC

Isn't that basically what I posted in post #3, but joining the match statements for the where clause? If so, I don't think that will work, as I now have separate fulltext indexes for the 2 fields I am matching on.

Sorry, I didn't mean to *remove* the 2-column index.... you'll need to add the 2 news ones.

Actually, I got it to work. I needed to have the * before the other matches that were being selected. So what worked is:

SELECT *, MATCH(luna_products_name) AGAINST('$keywordlist') AS relevance_title,

MATCH(luna_products_description) AGAINST('$keywordlist') AS relevance_description

FROM luna_products

WHERE MATCH(luna_products_name) AGAINST ('$keywordlist') +

MATCH(luna_products_description) AGAINST ('$keywordlist')

ORDER BY relevance_title DESC,relevance_description DESC;";

Thanks for all your advice.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.