Best way to learn php/mysql

Dyno

Hi there, i've really been instrested on learning how to do php/mysql programming but i'm not sure the best way to get into this.

i've looked through a few book that i've got from the library but they didnt seem to help,  i havent looked thorugh the tutorials here yet i'll do that tomarrow.

I'm just wondering on how all of you learnt and might be a good way for me to learn, i seem to learn better when i can try stuff instead of reading 100% of the time.  Is there any good websites that can help or books that you've used that's helped you.  I dont mind spending money because i'm sure this i something id like to continue for a while.

Any information would be great.

Thanks,

Dyno

IMO it is best to get a good grounding before trying to write too much code. Lots of people jump straight in, but they (most of) evidently write crap code using poor practices.

I learnt to program in asp by reading a good book several times, doing more and more of the examples as I went. By the time I got to learning php I already had a good grasp of programming concepts in general but still I hit the books.

Without trying to put you off, its not really something you should think your going to pick up over night. There are allot of details the newcomers simply overlook unless they are explicitly shown otherwise. There is a pretty good free book (now wiki) in my signature that should set you on the right path.

Simply put though. Take your time, enjoy it and try to get a good grasp of the fundamentals before diving into the next big thing.

Of course this is all just my opinion, but I see allot of people here everyday asking simple questions relating to a site they are building for some client. Most of these people are in no position to be learning on other peoples time.

I learn by doing.. I like to learn from examples and try things myself , i don't have any books.. there's enough already on the internet so why pay?^^

ps: "^^" is a smile, it's just addictive now^^ i have to put it on the end of anything i think is funny or sarcastic^^ I'm a weirdo get used to it  :-*

As thrope stated get the basic that every language has

• If/else/elseif/switch
    For, While Foreach
    Operators
    Variables
    Functional programing

And then once you got this, start expanding into the php special areas (SQL, Web applications, Xhtml, etc)  This is the main reason people use php, it can produce xhtml very easily, and is integrated very well with mysql, making databasing readily there for everyone to use.

Then when you get stuck go to php.net first, then if that doesn't help google it see if some php functions show up that help, go back to php.net check what they do, if you still confused ask a very specifc question here like (I'm trying to get part of a string, but this substr() isn't working for me any ideas)  If you post here asking for a script people will ignore you, and label you as a begger and not  help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.