[SOLVED] PDO version of mysql_num_rows(); ?

sKunKbad

I may not have been specific, but I'd like to know the number of rows in the query result, not the entire table. My example query would return the entire table, and that's not what I'm after. If for instance my query was to return 3 rows, I'd like a function(method) that returns 3, like mysql_num_rows.

I still can't get it to do what I want to do.

Here is my standard connection / query / echo script:

<?php
try{
	$pdo = new PDO('mysql:host=p13mysql65.secureserver.net;dbname=tips_table', 'tips_table', 'ChromeDomeX');

foreach ($pdo->query('SELECT * FROM tipsntricks WHERE tipType = "compatibility"') as $row) {
      echo "<p>Tip number " . $row['tipNum'] . " is:<br />";
	  echo $row['tipTitle'] . "</p>";
   }

$pdo2 = $pdo->query('SELECT * FROM tipsntricks WHERE tipType = "performance"');
   $result = $pdo2->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
	extract($result);
	echo "<p>Tip number " . $tipNum . " is:<br />";
	echo $tipTitle . "</p>";

$pdo = null;
   }
   catch(PDOException $e){
      echo $e->getMessage();
   }
?>

and for instance, I need to be able to check to see how many tips are in the performance catagory, and I need the script to return a number, like how mysql_num_rows works. If there are 4 performance tips, I need the script to return 4. I tried the script in example 2 on the rowCount page, but it's not working.

Ok, this works:

$pdo = new PDO('mysql:host=p6mysql1.whatever.net;dbname=tips', 'tips, 'ChromeDomeX');
$sql = $pdo->prepare('SELECT * FROM tipsntricks WHERE tipType = "performance"');
$sql->execute();
echo "Number of rows: " . count($sql->fetchAll());
$pdo = null;

but there can't be any SELECT queries above the prepare statement.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.