Can't figure out this CSS "white gap" issue! HELP!

ShootingBlanks

Hello.  My page looks fine in IE7 & FireFox, but in IE6 there's a big white gap on the page.  Here's screenshots of how it should look (in IE7 & FireFox) and then how it shouldn't look (in IE6), and then below it is a description of the CSS code I'm using.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!

IE7/FireFox:

ie7.jpg

IE6:

ie6.jpg

That whole category on the right that has the "Business Management" heading and the table is in a div with the ID "main" like this:

#main {
float: right;
width: 535px;
margin: 8px;
}

Then the navigation bar on the left side is in a div with the ID "sidebar" like this:

#sidebar p {
margin: 15px;
}

Both the "sidebar" and "main" divs are in a div with the ID "container" like this:

#container {
width: 698px;
border: 4px double #095AA6;
background-color: #FFF;
text-align: center;
margin: 0 auto;
}

Now, here's kind of another problem.  At the top of the page (also within the "container" div) are two more divs with the IDs "header" and "nav".  Here's those codes:

#header {
padding: 0;
margin: 0;
width: 100%;
height: 55px;
background: url(../images/header.jpg) no-repeat;
color: #FFF;
}

#nav {
padding: 0;
margin: 0;
height: 17px;
border-width: 5px 0 5px 0;
border-color: #FFCC00;
border-style: solid;
background-color: #9CBCDA;
color: #330066;
}

Now, I tried decreasing the "width" attribute in the "main" ID from 535 to 525, and that cleared up the big white gap, but then it left a white gap on the top-right (next to the "header" and "nav").  This is only (again) in IE6, and can be seen in this screenshot:

whitegap.jpg

Any ideas anyone???  Thanks!!!

display:inline fixes an IE6 bug that occurs when floated divs have margins or padding. IE6 can double the padding or margin in some cases, which obviously breaks the layout. I think the rule is, if the div is floated left, and the padding or margin is on the left, then it will be doubled. Remembering this is one of the keys to making cross browser designs work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.