Selecting problems

ccrevcypsys

I have a website that has users and artists on it. I am building the community page ( the page that displays everyone in the db) well i figured out the view all artists and all people but i need help figuring out how to just view the customers without the artists on the page.

My db is set up like this

--|customers|--          --|artists|--

screenname      +---customer_id

email                      points

password

customer_id ---+

and my code for the query is this so far

$query = "SELECT * FROM ".$glob['dbprefix']."customer LEFT JOIN ".$glob['dbprefix']."artist ON ".$glob['dbprefix']."StreamRush_customer.customer_id=".$glob['dbprefix']."artist.customer_id WHERE private = 0 ORDER BY noOrders";

Can't work out your DB is this one table of both or 2 seperate tables?

could you itemise them downward for each?

Desmond.

its 2 different tables

customer is its own table

and

artist is its own table

and the customer table has everyone registered on the site but the artist table says who is the artists.

I have also tried this

$query = "SELECT * FROM ".$glob['dbprefix']."StreamRush_customer LEFT JOIN ".$glob['dbprefix']."artist ON ".$glob['dbprefix']."StreamRush_customer.customer_id=".$glob['dbprefix']."artist.customer_id WHERE ".$glob['dbprefix']."StreamRush_customer.customer_id!=".$glob['dbprefix']."artist.customer_id AND private = 0 ORDER BY noOrders";

and it causes the table not to generate

Try something like this :-o

$artists = mysql_query("SELECT customer_id FROM artists");
$artist = mysql_fetch_array($artists);
//$artists is now an array of ALL customer ids that are artists :-o

mysql_clear_result($artists);//clear off the memory so you can perform another query efficiently

$customers = mysql_query("SELECT screenname,email,customer_id FROM customers");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($customers)){//loop through all your registered users
if(!in_array($row['customer_id'],$artists)){//they are not an artist
//do some html to display customer data
}
}
mysql_clear_result($customers);//clear off the memory so you have efficiency :-D

Let me know if this code makes sense or not. I'd rather use codes like this than mess with LEFT JOIN, RIGHT JOIN, etc... where I can.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.