Counting the dead!!

linker3000

Hi,

I am processing some info imported into MySQL 5.0.48 from an ancient (but still in use) system that holds veterinary records. I need to identify whether a client still has any live pets (so we don't contact clients where all their pets are deceased!). The important parts of the animals database are structured as follows:

anmalid = Varchar 6

notes = varchar 255

The notes need to be checked for various strings such as 'deceased', 'pts' (put to sleep), 'transferred' etc - we have worked out a list of what to check.

The animalid represents the owner+the animal in the format xxxxxp, where:

'xxxxx' is the client ID - related to the clients list and 'p' is a letter representing the pet number

(so presumably with this system a client can only ever have a max of 26 pets in total and there can only be 99999 clients)

eg: A client with two pets may have two entries:

12345A  fluffy  deceased

and

12345B  rover  dental work completed

So, basically, I need to group by xxxxx and count how many animals each customer has and then subtract the ones where the description includes a string that implies the pet is either dead or has been reallocated to another customer etc.

Once I have a list of customers and the number of active pets they have I need to extract the email addresses from a separate table - which should be easy with something like:

select clientid, emailaddr from clients where livepets >0 

or perhaps..

select clientid, emailaddr from clients where totalpets-deadpets >0

I am not sure whether setting up a view first would be useful or whether I have to nest some queries to do the pet counting - any guidance would be appreciated. Yep, I am quite new to SQL  ::)

Thanks.

Well, having picked a few brains elsewhere I came up with the following - I would appreciate any comments.

SELECT distinct clients.clientid,

lower(substring(clients.mobemail from 21)) as emailaddr,

clients.salutation,

clients.initials,

clients.surname

FROM

VETM0020animals left join clients on (clients.clientid = left(anid,length(anid)-1))

where not (

(notes like '%deceased%') or

(notes like '%write off%') or

(notes like '%home%') or 

(notes like '%died%') or

(notes like '%move%') or

(notes like '%lost%') or 

(notes like '%gone%') or

(notes like '%longer %') or

(notes like '%bad %') or

(notes like '%not owned%') /* or

(notes like '%have%') */

)

and clients.mobemail like '%@%'

group by clients.clientid

order by clients.surname

I am quickly realising that writing SQL queries requires a different midset than that for writing applications - in my case, my 'programming thinking' made this problem seem much more complex that it really was.

Thanks

1) Normalization of data/indexing - not really worth it. The report takes about 8 seconds to process 393K animal records and it's not run that often. This particular app is being replaced soon (< 6 months) and the replacement software, very sensibly, just has a flag field to indicate whether an  animal is alive or not.

2) LEFT JOIN: Probably just down to my inexperience of SQL - if you have time to suggest a better way of getting the client data when a live animal has been found then I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks again everyone.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.