PHP and Email "Piping"

Wes1890

Ive read a few tutorials on this a while back (i dont remember if it was a Perl script or a PHP script so forgive me)

But I'm wanting to be able to email PIPE@domain.com and have a PHP script get the email, extract the subject/message, and store it in a variable for use.

How would I go about doing this?

And I have a cpanel and everything with my host, so screwing around with email settings or whatever can be done.. just SYN

Thanks guys

Lets say i send an email to PIPE@domain.com.

After the email is received by the server, I want a script to be executed automatically. The script will extract data from the email I sent.

Make more sense? This is done with a PHP or Perl script, but I cant really understand how it works.

btw, CPanel is short for Control Panel.. and its just for controlling web server settings (email accounts, sub-domains, crons, phpmyadmin, etc.)

does anyone know what im talking about?

No, not at all.

Lets say i send an email to PIPE@domain.com.

After the email is received by the server, I want a script to be executed automatically. The script will extract data from the email I sent.

Why not extract the information before you send it to a remote server? Obviously, something is getting lost in the text here! What exactly[/bn] are you wanting to do? In detail.

------

Ill simplify it.

------

Im sending an email to PIPE@domain.com.

The subject is "BIRD".

The message body is "CRAP".

I want "BIRD - CRAP" to be displayed on domain.com (index.php).

------

------

So what needs to happen?

------

A script needs to intercept the email I sent.

Extract the data into variables.

Do what I want the variables to do. In this case, just store them (in DB or flat file) and display it on index.php

------

I cannot explain it any easier...

Ok learning more by the minutes....

This is why there is no way to provide common instructions for configuring MTA software, which was installed and is being maintained by your hosting provider. You should refer to your hosting manual or contact your hosting provider for email piping instructions.

http://www.emailsoftwaretools.com/emailpiping.html

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.