Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spelltwister

Writing a file

Hey everyone,

I'm having a small problem with writing a file. Pretty much, here's what's happening:

I'm running a piece of code that was working fine in one directory, in another and it's giving me problems.

The code I'm using is the following:

[code]
$data = [INSERT XML STUFF HERE]; <-- Obviously this isn't what's there, but it works.
$file = "home/online/public_html/game/xml_files/game".$game."turn".$turn."u.xml";    
if (!$file_handle = fopen($file,"a")) { echo "Cannot open file"; }  
if (!fwrite($file_handle, $data)) { echo "Cannot write to file"; }  
fclose($file_handle);[/code]

Ok, the folder this file is in is: home/online/testing and it needs to write to home/online/public_html/game/xml_files.

Is there any suggestion on how I can get it to do this. I tried $file as above and as $file = "../public_html/game/xml_files" and still it didn't want to work.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Maybe it's a server setting...
Some servers just won't let PHP create/delete files in certain or all directories...

You might try a putting a slash in front of the home directory (assuming it's in root)

[code]$data = [INSERT XML STUFF HERE]; <-- Obviously this isn't what's there, but it works.
$file = "/home/online/public_html/game/xml_files/game".$game."turn".$turn."u.xml";    
if (!$file_handle = fopen($file,"a")) { echo "Cannot open file"; }  
if (!fwrite($file_handle, $data)) { echo "Cannot write to file"; }  
fclose($file_handle);[/code]

You might also want to experiment with the realpath() function to get exact file locations (especially if you don't know the real or full path to the document).

Also, when I get problems like this, I always check permissions of the directory. Sometimes you have to chmod the directory to allow file writing.

[!--quoteo(post=365789:date=Apr 17 2006, 08:50 PM:name=poirot)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(poirot @ Apr 17 2006, 08:50 PM) [snapback]365789[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Maybe it's a server setting...
Some servers just won't let PHP create/delete files in certain or all directories...
[/quote]

Well, I wrote to that folder from the game folder (IE, home/online/public_html/game wrote to home/online/public_html/game/xml_files (using just $file = "xml_files" etc))

If I add the slash won't it look in the current folder for a folder called "home"?

How exactly is the realpath() used and what for?

Thanks

Mike

[!--quoteo(post=366031:date=Apr 18 2006, 10:05 AM:name=spelltwister)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(spelltwister @ Apr 18 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]366031[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]If I add the slash won't it look in the current folder for a folder called "home"?[/quote]

no, the leading slash will point it to the root directory first. Leaving out a leading slash will look for a folder called "home" in the current directory.

[!--quoteo(post=366031:date=Apr 18 2006, 10:05 AM:name=spelltwister)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(spelltwister @ Apr 18 2006, 10:05 AM) [snapback]366031[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]How exactly is the realpath() used and what for?[/quote]

Try it out. The following will display the real path to the current directory.

[code]<? echo realpath("."); ?>[/code]

You could use it for relative path's too, realpath("../../../directory") for example.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.