Code Help

Ell20

Hi,

Im creating a sports website where team selection can be added to the fixture.

In my team selection table I have the options: Captain, Vice-Captain and Wicketkeeper.

They are 3 seperate tick boxes.

If all 3 of these tick boxes are selected then the code works perfectly, this however is unreleastic. If any of the selection boxes are not ticked I recieve the following errors:

An error occured in script c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\html\teamselection.php on line 246: Undefined index: captainAn error occured in script c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\html\teamselection.php on line 247: Undefined index: captainAn error occured in script c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\html\teamselection.php on line 250: Undefined index: vicecaptainAn error occured in script c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\html\teamselection.php on line 251: Undefined index: vicecaptainAn error occured in script c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\html\teamselection.php on line 254: Undefined index: wicketkeeperAn error occured in script c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\html\teamselection.php on line 255: Undefined index: wicketkeeper

The easy soultion to this problem would be to add 2 tick boxes for each of the catergories so that the user either selections Yes Or No. However this is not how I want to do it as I want the user to do as little as possible.

Also by having a Yes/No tickbox option the value "No" will be placed all over the team selection table whereas I would just like the table to display the value Yes where it is true and leave it blank where it would normally say "No".

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to how I would go about doing this?

Thanks

Elliot

The html selection boxes in the form:

<tr>
<td>
Captain:
</td>
<td>
<input type="checkbox" name="captain" value="Yes" />
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
Vice Captain:
</td>
<td>
<input type="checkbox" name="vicecaptain" value="Yes" />
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
Wicketkeeper:
</td>
<td>
<input type="checkbox" name="wicketkeeper" value="Yes" />
</td>
</tr>

<?php

if (isset($_POST['submit2'])) {

$captain = escape_data($_POST['captain']);
$vice_captain = escape_data($_POST['vicecaptain']);
$wicketkeeper = escape_data($_POST['wicketkeeper']);
------etc----------

$query = "INSERT INTO team_selection (club_id, fixture_id, player_name, captain, vice_captain, wicket_keeper) VALUES ('$id', '$fixture_id', '$name', '$captain', '$vice_captain', '$wicketkeeper')";
$result = @mysql_query ($query);
if ($result) {
echo '<h3>Player Added To Team Selection!</h3>';
?>

The reason I think it dosent work is because the variable is not defined if the selection box is not ticked? However I dont have a solution to get around this problem?

Cheers

The following scenarios could occur:

Never will all 3 options be selected as it is impossible to be both captain and vice - captain.

Any combiniation of 2 of the boxes can be selected other than captain and vice captain selected.

Any single selection box can be selected.

All selection boxes can be blank

Cheers

change

$captain = escape_data($_POST['captain']);
$vice_captain = escape_data($_POST['vicecaptain']);
$wicketkeeper = escape_data($_POST['wicketkeeper']);

to

$captain = isset($_POST['captain']) ? escape_data($_POST['captain']) : '';
$vice_captain = isset($_POST['vicecaptain']) ? escape_data($_POST['vicecaptain']) : '';
$wicketkeeper = isset($_POST['wicketkeeper']) ? escape_data($_POST['wicketkeeper']) : '';

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.