Trying to send a pdf as an attachement with mail()

scotch33

Hi there,

I am having a bit of bother with sending a pdf as an attachment to an automated e-mail send to customers requesting  a brochure.  I have the mail and attachment working but when I try to open the pdf it says it cannot recognise the filetype.  I have looked around and everywhere I have looked the content type for PDF as an attachemnt is 'application/pdf'.  I have copied my code below - if anyone can see where I am going wrong I would appreciate the info.

Thanks!

John

$headers = "From: info@newmaticelevators.com \r\n";
$headers .= "Reply-To: info@newmaticelevators.com \r\n";
$headers .= "Bcc:  \r\n";
$recipient = $_SESSION['email'];
$subject   = "Your brochure request from the Newmatic Elavators website";

$bound_text =  	"antelope2574017";
$bound = 	"--".$bound_text."\r\n";
$bound_last = 	"--".$bound_text."--\r\n";

$headers .=  	"MIME-Version: 1.0\r\n"
	 	     		."Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=\"$bound_text\"";

$message .=  	"If you can see this MIME than your client doesn't accept MIME types!\r\n"
  					.$bound;

$message .= "Content-Type: text/html; charset=\"iso-8859-1\"\r\n"
  		."Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit\r\n\r\n".
	"<html>
	<head>
	<title>A brochure request from the Newmatic Elevators website</title>
	</head>
	<body><p>Dear ".$_SESSION['title']." ".$_SESSION['surname']."</p>
	<p>You requested a brochure from the Newmatic elevators website.</p><p>Your brochure was requested as a PDF and is attached to this e-mail.  Should you have any futher requests please feel free to contact us on the details below.</p><p>Yours sincerely<br /><br />The Newmatic Elevators Team.</p>The Stag House<br />
Wooburn Town<br />
High Wycombe<br />
Buckinghamshire<br />
HP10 0PN<br />
<br />
Phone: 01628 523977<br />
Fax: 01628 529130<br />
<a href='mailto:info@newmaticelevators.com'>info@newmaticelevators.com</a></body></html>\r\n"
  	.$bound;

$file =  file_get_contents("http://www.newmaticelevators.com/pdfs/NE_brochure.pdf");

$message .=  	"Content-Type: application/pdf; name=\"NE_brochure.pdf\"\r\n"
  	."Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64\r\n"
  	."Content-disposition: attachment; file=\"NE_brochure.pdf\"\r\n"
  	."\r\n"
  	.chunk_split(base64_encode($file))
  	.$bound_last;

mail($recipient,$subject,$message,$headers);
// end send a confirmation to the requester
header('Location: http://www.newmaticelevators.com/download/brochure_request_completed.php');

Hmm, interesting. Never attempted something quite as similar but the code looks ok.

This may seem like a simple answer, but are you sure that the machine you're testing it on recognises the .pdf in the email as a pdf file? Does it show the mini-icon? Have you got adobe reader installed?

I'd be curious to find out, what happens you try try and echo out the contents of $file, and send the application/pdf header straight to the browser?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.