Jump to content


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


Strange PHP Error Reporting Issue

Recommended Posts

I'm usually the type of person who doesn't like to ask for help being that searching the internet and forums usually yields the answer, but I've come up emtpy handed on this one. Hopefully somebody here can shed some light on this for me.

It's pretty simple. I can't get PHP Notice error reporting to shut off no matter what. You'd think this is a simple problem. This is what I've done so far.

1. Verified where my php.ini file is coming from from phpinfo(). (Not to mention it's the only one on the server as I run a VPS) It's clear as day that the .ini file is the default 'error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE.'

2. I verified that in phpinfo(), the error_reporting code is 2039 in BOTH global and local settings.

3. I've checked to see if it was possible that this was overridden somehow in my httpd.conf apache files. I didn't see anything there.

4. Yes, I have restarted the server.

5. Stranger yet, I can turn off error_reporting all together and that works. But when it's on it ALWAYS shows notices.

WHY do I STILL get notice reporting? I can't for the life of me figure it out. This seems impossible.

I am running a VPS with Virtuozzo and DirectAdmin if that is of any help.

Thanks for any sugestions or help you can offer.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Amazingly, after working on this issue for a week, a mere few hours after I broke down to ask for assistance, I solved the problem.

For anybody who might read this and ever be in a similar situation:

I am running a forum with an SSI file that is required for my page loads.

If I run phpinfo BEFORE that line, it shows me 2039 for error reporting. Sticking phpinfo() AFTER that line shows 2047.

I never had the problem on my previous host. I don't know what the heck that file is doing (handles behind the scenes forum initializations for easy site integration), but it has changed the local PHP settings which are still kept when that file is finished and it continues running my code.

Long story short, I just returned the error code to 2039 right after that and everything is fine.

I've been beating my head over it for a week while trying to get a site ported over to my new VPS.

For some reason, this issues did NOT happen on the previous host. I don't know why they wouldn't I would have expected the same thing to happen there.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.