[SOLVED] Problem with forums being duplicated.

Eiolon

I created a small forum which seems to be working with one exception.  Whenever more than 1 topic is created in a forum it duplicates the forum on the main page and also gives the duplicate the wrong post count.

Query:

$query_both = "SELECT f.forum_id, f.forum_name, f.forum_desc, f.forum_num_topics, t.topic_num_replies, t.topic_forum FROM forums f JOIN topics t ON (f.forum_id = t.topic_forum)";
$both = mysql_query($query_both) OR die ('Cannot retrieve forum information.');
$row_both = mysql_fetch_array($both);

Table:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="6" bgcolor="#CCCCCC">
            <tr bgcolor="#E5E5E5">
              <td><strong>Forum</strong></td>
              <td width="75"><div align="center"><strong>Topics</strong></div></td>
              <td width="75"><div align="center"><strong>Posts</strong></div></td>
            </tr>
            <?php do { 

$number1 = $row_both['forum_num_topics'];
		$number2 = $row_both['topic_num_replies'];
		$posts = $number1 + $number2;

?>
            <tr bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
              <td><a href="forum.php?forum_id=<?php echo $row_both['forum_id'] ?>"><?php echo $row_both['forum_name'] ?></a> - <?php echo $row_both['forum_desc'] ?></td>
              <td width="75"><div align="center"><?php echo $row_both['forum_num_topics'] ?></div></td>
              <td width="75"><div align="center"><?php echo $posts ?></div></td>
            </tr>
            <?php } while ($row_both = mysql_fetch_array($both)); ?>
          </table>

Result after more than 1 topic is created in the forum (duplicate in red square):

php.gif

Thanks for your help!

Insert query for adding a topic:

$insert = "INSERT INTO topics (topic_subject, topic_author, topic_body, topic_date, topic_forum) VALUES ('".$_POST['topic_subject']."','".$_POST['topic_author']."','".$_POST['topic_body']."',now(),'".$_GET['forum_id']."')";
$result = mysql_query($insert) OR die ('Could not add topic to forum.');

if ($insert) {
$update = "UPDATE forums SET forum_num_topics = '$topics', forum_num_posts = '$posts' WHERE forum_id = ".$_GET['forum_id']."";
$update_result = mysql_query($update) OR die ('Could not add to topic total.');
header('Location: topic_added.php');
exit; }	

Insert query for adding a reply:

$insert = "INSERT INTO replies (reply_author, reply_body, reply_date, reply_topic) VALUES ('".$_POST['reply_author']."','".$_POST['reply_body']."',now(),'".$_GET['topic_id']."')";
$result = mysql_query($insert) OR die ('Could not add reply to topic.');

if ($insert) {
$update = "UPDATE topics SET topic_num_replies = '$replies' WHERE topic_id = ".$_GET['topic_id']."";
$update_result = mysql_query($update) OR die ('Could not add to reply total.');
header('Location: reply_added.php');
exit; }	

I just want to be clear that it's not actually inserting the duplicate forums into the database.  It appears that it's the join making the output duplicate, but I have tried every join that I could find and still no resolution.

Certainly, here you go:

mysql> SELECT topic_subject,topic_forum from topics;
+-----------------------------+-------------+
| topic_subject               | topic_forum |
| Welcome to the forums!      |           5 |
| use of others library cards |           3 |
| The new room                |           4 |
| South Wing                  |           5 |
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> SELECT forum_id,forum_desc,forum_num_topics from forums;
+----------+---------------------------------------------------+------------------+
| forum_id | forum_desc                                        | forum_num_topics |
+----------+---------------------------------------------------+------------------+
|        3 | Talk about general library business, issues, etc. |                1 |
|        4 | Discuss the library expansion project.            |                1 |
|        5 | Chat about anything not related to the library.   |                2 |
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Cool...Then execute your join...and post the result here

SELECT DISTINCT f.forum_id, f.forum_name, f.forum_desc, f.forum_num_topics, t.topic_num_replies, t.topic_forum FROM forums f JOIN topics t ON (f.forum_id = t.topic_forum);

Looking on it that should work...If the result is what I expect then let's try a while loop instead of a do-while.

Looks to be the same output.

mysql> SELECT DISTINCT f.forum_id, f.forum_name, f.forum_desc, f.forum_num_topics, t.topic_num_replies, t.topic_forum FROM forums f JOIN topics t ON (f.forum_id = t.topic_forum);
+----------+--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+------------------+-------------------+-------------+
| forum_id | forum_name         | forum_desc                                        | forum_num_topics | topic_num_replies | topic_forum |
+----------+--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+------------------+-------------------+-------------+
|        5 | The Lounge         | Chat about anything not related to the library.   |                2 |                11 |           5 |
|        3 | General Discussion | Talk about general library business, issues, etc. |                1 |                 1 |           3 |
|        4 | Library Expansion  | Discuss the library expansion project.            |                1 |                 1 |           4 |
|        5 | The Lounge         | Chat about anything not related to the library.   |                2 |                 0 |           5 |
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Let me ask you this, would it be better to make a new column in the forums table called "forum_num_posts" and whenever a new topic/reply is made update that column?  It would stop me from having to do a join but then again I am not sure if that is the best choice or not since I am new to this stuff.

That answers our problem, use this:

SELECT DISTINCT f.forum_id, f.forum_name, f.forum_desc, f.forum_num_topics, t.topic_forum FROM forums f JOIN topics t ON (f.forum_id = t.topic_forum);

Don't include the number of replies in that section since it is the number of replies per topic.

Let me ask you this, would it be better to make a new column in the forums table called "forum_num_posts" and whenever a new topic/reply is made update that column?  It would stop me from having to do a join but then again I am not sure if that is the best choice or not since I am new to this stuff.

It is always dependent on what your plans for your site are...Nevertheless, I still prefer minimal number of columns though.  But hey its your site and everyone here is just to help each other and possibly get ideas along the way.

The above query does get rid of the duplicate forum.  The problem that occurs with removing the topic_num_replies is I am doing math in the do-while statement to give me the total posts.  It adds forum_num_topics + topic_num_replies to get the total posts.

So if I were to add another column, forum_num_posts, how would I modify my above insert query for adding a reply?  Currently I have it updating the topics table upon a successful insert.  Is it possible to update two tables upon successful insert?

Thanks again for all your help on this!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.