6 replies to this topic

#1 darga333

darga333
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:47 AM

Hi there! I am new to PHP and am having trouble with this loop. For some reason, when everything is outputted... it works perfectly if there is only 1 record that is returned in the $sql_1 statement... The problem is when the $sql_1 statement returns more than one record, it displays the $discount_message twice. The real problem is that $discount_message already contains both the discounts it found.. so there is no need to display both discounts again. Please help!!

$sql_0  = " SELECT  `user_id`,`sRepresentatives` FROM  `ucfmembers`,`ucfdiscount` WHERE ucfmembers.user_id=ucfdiscount.iMemberId AND ucfmembers.bBusiness =1 AND ucfdiscount.sActive=1 AND ucfdiscount.sFeatured=1 ORDER  BY ucfmembers.user_id ASC ";
    $result_0 = mysql_query($sql_0);
    while($row_0 = mysql_fetch_array($result_0))  {
    $discount_message = "";
    $user_id = $row_0['user_id'];
    $rep = $row_0['sRepresentatives'];

$sql_1  = " SELECT *,ucfdiscountcategory.sName,ucfdiscount.sDescription FROM `ucfdiscount`,ucfdiscountcategory WHERE ucfdiscount.sActive = 1 AND ucfdiscount.sFeatured = 1 AND ucfdiscount.iDisCategoryId = ucfdiscountcategory.idiscategoryid AND ucfdiscount.iMemberId=$user_id";

$result_1 = mysql_query($sql_1);

if (mysql_num_rows($result_1) > 0) { 
            while($row_1 = mysql_fetch_array($result_1))  {

//$current_catid = $row_1['iDisCategoryId'];
                $discount_message .= "<h2>".$row_1['sName']."</h2>";
                $discount_message .= "<p><strong>".$row_1['sBusinessName']."</strong><br>\n";
                $discount_message .= $row_1['sHeadlines']."<br>\n";
                $discount_message .= $row_1[1]."<br>\n";
                $discount_message .= $row_1['sDescription']."<br>\n";
                $discount_message .= $row_1['sPhone']."<br>\n";
                $discount_message .= "<a href=\"http://www.ucflife.com/viewcoupon.php?id=".$row_1['idiscountid']."\">View your coupon!</a>";
                //echo $current_catid;

}

}
    echo "<br />This is discount message OUTSIDE OF THE LOOP: ".$discount_message."<br /><br />";
            echo $rep;
    }

echo "<h1>You are Done!</h1>";

#2 poirot

poirot
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 646 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:04 AM

Remove the part of the code that displays the discounts from the while loop.
~ D Kuang

#3 darga333

darga333
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

Im sorry but I dont understand what you are saying. I tried commenting out that while loop, but then it doesnt display anything. If i remove the code inside that while loop, then the discounts arent displayed on the page.

The first query works fine. It selects all the user_id's that i need. Then the second query is suposed to get all the discounts for that user_id and print them all on the screen.

I think I have something seriously messed up with my code because when it finds more than 1 discount for a user, it displays all the discounts but multiple times. For example. If there is 2 discunts, it will display 2 discounts, but twice. I have no idea what I am doing. Could you please be more descriptive on what I need to do. I am very much new to programming.

#4 poirot

poirot
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 646 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:46 PM

Oh, sorry, I think I overlooked things.
Your script seems to be fine, but what is it displaying? Only the discount multiples times ("This is discount message OUTSIDE OF THE LOOP: ".$discount_message."") or $rep is also "affected"?

And for someone new to programming you are actually doing great.
~ D Kuang

#5 darga333

darga333
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

Hey! I just figured it out, you have to make the very first SQL statement a GROUP BY instead of an ORDER BY... That took over 8 hours of guessing and checking to figure out.

I really want to be a PHP guru and a javascript guru.. i am just a beginner.. but thanks for the compliment! the hardest things to me are loops, for each loops, and any other loop you can think of, they are a pain in the ass.

and oh yeah that error that says something like not a valid mysql resource, that one is truely a pain!
some stuff i just dont understand about coding yet but I appreciate the help!

ohhh hey!! maybe you might know something about this comma thing.. whenver you try to update data if the data contains one or more commas... oh boy a huge problem.. every single time mysql stops on the comma and dies.. i had to fix a good 100 things by hand.. .. i would run the script, it would die, then i would get the id of where it died.. then i would find all the commas,.. then i would put a \ before the comma.. then run again... then dies... repeat.. lol

there has got to be a way to run a query to get all of the information even with commas...

or run a query then get all of the data.. then write a snipplet of code to put a \ before each comma, so mysql can be happy...

you know anything about this?

#6 poirot

poirot
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 646 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:39 PM

Well, you should first add qoutes to the values, I mean, like this:

UPDATE `table` SET field = 'value1', field2 = 'value2' .... etc.

To add backslashes use mysql_real_escape_string():
[a href=\"http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-real-escape-string.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysq...cape-string.php[/a]

~ D Kuang

#7 darga333

darga333
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:34 PM

hey thats pretty neat! I am going to have to do that from now on.. thanks for the hand!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users