[SOLVED] domain noobish question

asmith

sorry about this question , i've always worked with php localy, and i'll be getting a domain in a month ,

i've search through domain sites, but i don't know what exactlly i should go for .

i will have some pages, designed and programmed with php , and myql database and so on ..

should i phurchase just a domain ? or i should get web hosting too ? what exactlly i should go for ?

Not really PHP related, but it does you no good to have a domain name and not have a webhost.  Where would the domain name point to if you don't get hosting?

You can start off getting just a host without a domain name if you want, and look to see if they offer what you want.

You could purchase just a domain and have it resolve to your computer which you can use as a server until you get your website working, at which point you can pay for webhosting and upload it.  However, creating a server (in most situations) requires installation of software such as Apache/Abyss and PHP, and in addition it usually requires the configuration of a router to allow port forwarding or DMZ to the computer running as a server.  Even at that point, some ISP's will limit the amount of upload bandwidth you have to prevent people from hosting a server.  In most cases it is easier to have a web host, but if money is a factor, you can always play around locally until your website is ready.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.