PHP/MySQL and Unexpperienced Programmer

rucas911

Hello,

I am pretty inexperienced in terms of web design and programing, especially in terms of PHP and MySQL.  However I just accepted the job (because sadly I am the most qualified) of designing my Churches website.  And based off the what my church wants, I am pretty sure a PHP site would probably be the best idea overall.  But I am not entirely sure where to start.  This is what I have so far.

We have a web host (Hostmonster.com) which is a linux server with Apache 1.3.39, PHP 5.1.6, and MySQL 5.0.37 with a 100 databases allowed.  I believe that is everything I need to set up a PHP site.  But like I said, I don't know where to start.  I remember I was in a gaming community before and they had a good PHP site setup that allowed a lot of modifying of the site without having to upload files via ftp.  It had an admin log in that gave you access to a lot of tools or modules that you turn on or off and move around using the admin tools on the site.

I want a site similar to that.  I don't know if there are pre-made modules or templates that I can customize with themes or what.  Or do I have to code it all myself.  If I have to code it all myself is there something similar to frontpage that can write it for me to a certain degree?

If anyone can offer some advice to get me started It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

rucas911

Do a search for Content Management System (CMS) and you'll find a ton of free stuff.  Popular ones are PHP Nuke & Joomla

The webhost you have seems fine and should do the job.

I also recommend you pick up a PHP and MySQL book.

Do you already have your layout designed? I would first start with the HTML and CSS, too get the ball rolling. There are programs out there that lets you use OOP to create PHP. You can do a search for PHP OOP Programs/Software on Google. That's all I really know about OOP; except that it standands for "Object Oriented Programing" - I know this because of my limited experience in VB.NET. But I code all by hand; so it's really up to you and how much work you want to put into it and how much time you have to do the project - it is really up to you. I know that lots of people us PHP Nuke for some of their PHP needs. Also if you do not have much time and you are not that great at manual coding; search Google for "WYSIWYG" software; this may help you out somewhat. For your MySQL needs; you might want to go with phpMyAdmin; it is really good software.

- Good Luck

I would think it is all on how much you want the site to do. If you are talking about a simple content update feature you could code

it yourself with the help of this forum and a good book I used "PHP and MySQL Web Development" by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson.

I made a church site onetime that just let them control the news and events page. I also added in later a sermon section that allowed

the church to type in a sermon each week. Viewers could search through the sermons past as well, it was fun.

Stephen 

Thanks all for the prompt replies, I will try and look into all your ideas and see what will work best for me.  But is it is getting late now and I am tired and not thinking clearly so I will resume my research and learning tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyones quick and courteous responses.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.