New type of CAPTCHA

The Little Guy

OK, I heard this from my cousin, It's a different approach against stopping bots... I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

1. make a form with all your fields.

2. add an extra text field, this field will be the same color as you background, along with borders and the whole nine yards.

3. When a person views the page, he/she will not see the text field so they won't fill it in, but on the other hand a robot will see the field and fill it out.

4. When doing a data check instead of checking your image, you would check to see if the field is filled in or not.

5. If it is filled in then it probably is a robot, if not then it probably is a living breathing person.

So what do you think?  I heard that this is common among larger web companies.

Yes, as protection for pointless robots it might work. Of course, if this became common, all the robot would need to do would be to compare the background colour of the input field and the page, and then not fill it in if it is the same.

However, it would do nothing for any script targetted at your form - which would be written not to fill in this other field.

It seems to me that if you're going to use some form of captcha, you might as well use the one that would block all types of automated script submissions - not just some. Hence why i said it seemed a little pointless to me.

its clever approach but very weak for a squared enemy of yours ;) as gingerrobot mentioned, easily somebody can observe it and make a new robot-script to ignore it.

An other approach that is coming to my mind is to time the procedure between opening the page till closing, but its bad, coz a robot can take whatever wants leaving the seasson open.

Also a specific type of captcha can be defeated by analyzing pixels, thus you see the strange lines on letters and canva full of dots ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.