IDE for linux

r-it

I am contemplating on totally moving from windows but i have one huge problem. I use adobe software for what i do, like flash, fireworks, photoshop. Can anyone tell me of alternatives for these on Linux (ubuntu), and what the best editor for php-ajax would be.

I use vim as my editor but it takes some getting used to. There are plenty of good IDE's for Linux though. Inkscape is a really good vector graphics editor (fireworks), but I'm not sure there is much around for flash. There is also gimp for image editing but it can hardly be compared to photoshop IMO.

You can however get photoshop installed and running on Linux via wine.

• 1 month later...

As far as editors go, try various ones and see what you like best. I use vim and gedit, sometimes scribes. Bluefish is an editor designed for PHP. You might or might not like it. Also check out scite, which runs on both Linux and Windows. There are many, many more editors in many styles and combinations of features. Use the one that suits you best.

GIMP is very capable software, but its interface is very different from Photoshop (but consider GIMPshop for that). I've never used Photoshop, so I can't compare the two, but I hear that GIMP has most of the features Photoshop has. You'll definitely face a learning curve, though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.