Stop False Array Values

Dysan

How do I stop the user from entering this php file manually, and accidentally adding a blank id to the array?

<?php
session_start();
$array = ( isset($_SESSION['ids']) && is_array($_SESSION['ids']) ) ?  $_SESSION['ids'] : array();

if (!in_array($_GET['id'], $array))
{
$array[] = $_GET['id'];
}
else
{
  echo "ID Exists";
}
$_SESSION['ids'] = $array;
print_r($array);

?>

My apologies for not explaining very well. :)

Basic, if you enter the open the php file, by entering the filename/path directly into the browser address bar, a blank value is added to the array, due to there not be a value in the $id variable.

How do I stop a blank value being added to the array, if the $id variable doesn't contain value?

<?php
session_start();
$array = ( isset($_SESSION['ids']) && is_array($_SESSION['ids']) ) ?  $_SESSION['ids'] : array();

$id = $_GET['id'];

function writeShoppingCart($array)
{
  if (count($array) > 0)
  {
    $s = (count($array) > 1) ? 's':'';
    echo "Shopping Cart: (".'<a href="1.php">'.count($array)." item".$s.")".'</a>';
  }
  else
  {
    echo "Shopping Cart is empty!";
  }
}

if (!in_array($id, $array))
{
$array[] = $id;
}
else
{
  echo "ID Exists";
}
$_SESSION['ids'] = $array;
print_r($array);
writeShoppingCart($array);
?>

The way I'm interpreting what you're saying is that when people navigate directly to the script (which should normally have post data from a previous page), $id is empty and causes an empty variable in the array.  If that's right, then just add something like:

stop the script

if(!isset($id)) { exit(); }

or redirect them

if(!isset($id)) { header("Location: index.php"); }

<?php

if(isset($_GET['id']) {

//An ID is set and you can go on with your scipt
  $id = $_GET['id'];

}
else {
  die('sucker')
}

?>

<?php

if(preg_match('/^[0-9]+$/', $_GET['id'])) {

//An ID which is numeral and consists of at least one char is set
  //and you can go on with your script
  $id = $_GET['id'];

}
else {
  die('sucker')
}

?>

Personally I wouldn't care for 0.00034 seconds, we talk about one check each time a person puts something in the basket :) Of course if you handle massive amounts of customers you might want to consider. But of course if I was to check something over and over again in a loop (say 100+ times) I too might consider not using preg_match.

Personally I wouldn't care for 0.00034 seconds, we talk about one check each time a person puts something in the basket :) Of course if you handle massive amounts of customers you might want to consider. But of course if I was to check something over and over again in a loop (say 100+ times) I too might consider not using preg_match.

Yeah, of course - we are talking about the very tiny overhead of using regular expressions. Either i'm a perfectionist or it's just the fact that i hate working with regex...

To be honest, it's probably the latter :P

Yeah, of course - we are talking about the very tiny overhead of using regular expressions. Either i'm a perfectionist or it's just the fact that i hate working with regex...

To be honest, it's probably the latter :P

regex isnt that bad, but it seems a little unsecure to me. Its great for bbcodes and all that fancy stuff, but i wouldnt recommend it in this case.

regex isnt that bad, but it seems a little unsecure to me. Its great for bbcodes and all that fancy stuff, but i wouldnt recommend it in this case.

I disagree. Often regex is the most secure way of validation. Making sure data matches an expected pattern is often more secure than more general constraints on type and length. Of course, in this example, it acheives the same thing; though the regex approach is marginally slower.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.