Grouping an Array

wsantos

I have data that reflects the stages of the system a connection passes.  Now that stage can be any of the applications present in the system that may have different data.  As an example lets take a single connection.

app1|app1data1  -->  app2|app2data1  --> app1|app1data2 --> app3|app3data1 --> app2|app2data2

There is no finite number of stages it may go through.  Also there is no definite order what stage will it fork to. 

As an example there are 10 total incoming.  Of the 10 incoming 5 went to app1 with data app1data1 then 3 of the 5 went to app2 with data app2data2.  The remaining 2 went to app3 with data app3data1.  The remaining 5 of the original 10 incoming went to app2 with data app2data2 (note this is the 2nd stage of the first 5 which can be the third stage or whatever).

Since I could not find a way to group it via mysql I put everything in an array.  I got the total number of incoming and the stage and stage data it terminated.

Now my goal is to trace the total incoming and trace which stages it will go through until termination.  Any help is much appreciated.

|Main|    |lookup_cid|      |path|        |lookup_exten|  |lookup_app|

mid              rid                pid                etc                  etc

uid................uid                appid ...................................appid               

src                cid................cid                etc                  etc

dst                etc              eid .............. eid

etc                etc              appdata

etc

The structure seems logical.  However the source of the data is unconventional in a sense that they (the company) may bypass a stage 1 and proceed with stage 2 then go back to stage 1.  I used 'stage' referring to a section of their system and not literally by order.  Thanks BenInBlack...I'll look into this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.