OOPHP ecommerce (PHP4 vs PHP5) VS Amazon web services.

wanabewired

Hi,

I have a question on which I'd love to hear everyones opinion, not necessarily just the gurus.

Firstly, if I were to embark on developing a LAMP based ecommerce system, both front and back end, with the intention of maximum reuse and scalability, would it be hugely detrimental to learn OO PHP in PHP4? My ties to version 4 are due to spending a great deal of time setting up a Debian Sarge box and Sarge ships with PHP4 as standard. My knowledge of PHP has been enough to get me through most problems due to a basic background in Perl but I don't have a great deal of experience with PHP object orientation or session management.

I have spoken to a microsoft advocate friend who claims .NET is a superior platform to create such an "off the shelf" solution due to the huge class libraries it ships with and its abstracted session management. Being a LAMP hacker I suppose I'm after some reassurance, before I start, that PHP can offer similar functionality. I'm not scared of a little hard work, I'm aware I'll have to put the hours in but I'd like to know that from the offset that PHP can compete.

I'm considering 4 things.

1. Do I dodge the whole issue and farm out functionality to amazon's ecommerce web services?

2. Do I develop a back end in Java and interact with it via rest/soap (which is gonna cause me a state/stateless headache)?

3. Do I develop the whole system in PHP4? (Just how backwards compatible is 5 and other future versions?)

4. Do I upgrade to PHP5 to develop the system (risking duplicating a whole load of effort getting the server up and running to the same stage on a system capable of PHP5)

PS: I have no particular ties to any other software like mysql or postgresql, the only requirement is that it is either free, open source or priced reasonably with native LAMP support.

Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

php4 will be deprecated by the end of this year, and php6 should be out sometime in the first half of next year. Honestly, if your going to start a new project that you wish to sustain for any length of time, php4 is definitely not the way to go. Besides that php5 has much greater OOP functionality if that's what your after.

Any Microsoft advocate would say much the same thing. Truth be known, .NET is a great framework. However, I'm yet to see anything it can do that PHP can't. There are also plenty of good frameworks around for php that will take some of the nitty gritty out of client-server interactions.

As for your 4 points. I can't say anyone but you could answer these. It really depends on how you want to go about things. I will comment on this though....

PS: I have no particular ties to any other software like mysql or postgresql, the only requirement is that it is either free, open source or priced reasonably with native LAMP support.

That right there rules .NET and any other MS tech out of contingency.

I havent gotten into that level of programming yet, but LAMP pretty much runs the web. I am certain that a PHP5 install with the appropriate apache modules would be able to handle the things that you need it to do. I'd suggest the upgrade to PHP5 since you have control over the server.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.