What would I have to learn to

TheBlackPope

Lol ive programmed in php for like 3 years but I looked at facebooks platform and was like :S HUH its all weird app keys and blah blah if anyone has a tutorial ;) ?

Distant_storm, the facebook app is really heavy on object-oriented programming (OOP), so if you don't have a really firm grasp of OOP, you're going to be dead in the water.

Create an app in facebook that would simulate growing a plant and recording the amount of production from that plant, and then growing a new one when that dies etc??

What parts of PHP would I have to focus on to learn this?

lol@"a plant"

But yeah, some basic php, mysql and OO PHP should cover it... unless you'd want flash animations too...

Actually I have a new idea, forget that last idea.

I want each user to have their own pet to take care of.

The user will have money to start and ways of obtaining more money

The user will have to buy food

The user will have to feed it for a certain amount of times to reach then next level.

At the next level, the user will have to feed it a different food, for another set amount of time, to reach the next level.

Once they reach the top level, you reset.

To do this, what will I have to learn in PHP?

What you have described there and what you wanted to make originally both follow the same principles in terms of programming. The functions are all the same.

I suggest you just learn PHP and MySQL. However, unless you've had any other programming experience in other languages, it might take some time until you can start learning OO for PHP.

Wes1890 explained that if you want a pet made with flash, eg: can be animated and real-time interactive, then you should learn flash, and javascript/ajax.

(You'll probably learn javascript anyway whilst programming HTML - they seem to come hand in hand when developing apps for me...if your aim is to have some cool client-side stuff)

What you have described there and what you wanted to make originally both follow the same principles in terms of programming. The functions are all the same.

I suggest you just learn PHP and MySQL. However, unless you've had any other programming experience in other languages, it might take some time until you can start learning OO for PHP.

Wes1890 explained that if you want a pet made with flash, eg: can be animated and real-time interactive, then you should learn flash, and javascript/ajax.

(You'll probably learn javascript anyway whilst programming HTML - they seem to come hand in hand when developing apps for me...if your aim is to have some cool client-side stuff)

I would want it to be text based.  Why is it hard to learn OO?

Do have any background experience at all in anything web-based? HTML? Anything? Because I'd love to jam the World News Now polka and all, but I don't have any experience at all with an accordion. What I'm trying to say is, your project idea(s) far exceed any capability you seem to have at the moment.

You seriously need to figure out what you really want to do.

1. Learn to program using PHP scripting?

2. Have ePlants or ePets for people on Facebook to own?

You can achieve #2 by getting currently experienced programmers involved, with you as the project coordinator. #1 is going to take a minimum of 6 months to grasp some basics, 2 years before you'd be able to handle a medium-sized project on your own. You just need to be realistic about what you want... I've never heard of anyone who wanted to learn an entire language to do one project.

PhREEEk

hmmm seems a very complex app for what id consider very little use lol. Phpreeks suggestions is best.

PHp is not the easiest to grasp, you would also need some oop theory and practice. You would need to structure how the app works theoretically, then graphically and process.

So

How do people get their plant to grow

What happens when their plant grows

Does the plant last forever

is their only a selection of plants to choose from ?

All these questions are what your app needs to answer theoretically

graphically as stated above an app of a growing plant is boring as if there is no graphcis this would require either Gif/static images or flash integration. The graphcis need to be apealing and large. If everyone had the same plant er Whats the point ! would be a question.

Process wise the php side of it would be quite big, firstly getting to grips with facebooks platform and using their class's and such is quite hard for me and ive been php programming for 3 years.

Hope that gives you some insite.

My moto is start small and it will end up big, If you start big you will get to the start of it, get bored flustrated or stuck. It will be time consuming. Get one idea very simple once you have done that Exapnd it and so forth. You will then actully get some projects going.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.