I Want to send out a newsletter but need to create a mailing list in php

aircooled57

i run a site which has just gone live and i wish to have a field where users can type in there email adress and click a submit button which adds them to a mailing list, i am not sure how to create this and dont know what web language would be best to use as presently my homepage is written in html which is relative to a template

indeed, i'd do it with php too...

when the user click the submit button, run a script that checks if it's a valid email address, then add it to a database, and then create a second form (that only you can access), with the necessary things for your email, next, loop through your database with emails and send that mail to everyone...

Might get a little slow though if you have a lot of subscribers...

i have tryed googling it but the coding of it doesnt make sense to me as i have never used php before at all

Do you want to learn or just get a simple script installed. If the former, theres a nice free book in my signiture. Otherwise, your probably in the wrong forum.

LOL If you have no knowledge then

revraz 

May be easier to use a 3rd party site then to manage the mailing list.  There are quite a few free ones out there and you can easily add a link to your site to let them register and remove themself.

Just google it and you will find loads of managers. If you want to create your own you are going to have to learn php and MYSQL

well if you want to learn then this is what you need.

You will need a database, check your web host can support a database. If so then you will need to create a table that stores the users email address.

Then create your form and set the form to send to a php file. In this php file all you will need to do is insert into the table the email address. That is just the basic, you will also need some validation rules.

http://www.w3schools.com/php/ is what i learned with.

But start off by looking into your host. I am afraid people here wont write the code for you as they dont have the time. But if you start something then we can help push you in the right direction and fix errors.

Well then the first thing you have to do is start learning PHP and MySQL.  Pick up a book at a bookstore or amazon and start learning, or find some online resources.  Once you start learning about variables, arrays, loops and such, start thinking of how they will work with your new Mail script that you will make.  Start writing the code, post what you have and someone will help you with what you are doing wrong.

But no one will write it for you here, but you can try the Freelance forum.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.