div

ki

Im trying to float a div over a div, ive tried different methods trying this yet non seem to work here is the code im trying to make the div float over:

<style>
div#subjects { margin-bottom: 5px; display: block; }
div#msgbody { float: left; display: block; width: 100%; }
div.CB { float: left; width: 50px; }
div.FR { float: left; width: 100px; }
div.SB { float: left; }
div.MR { float: left; display: block; width: 100%; font-size: 14px; }
</style>
<div class="MH">Message(s)</div>
<div id="subjects">
<div class="MR"><div class="CB"><input type="checkbox" name="mail[]"></div><div class="FR"><a href="">name</a></div><div class="SB"><a href="javascript:message('')">subject</a></div></div>
</div>

and this is the div I want floated:

<div id="msgbody">
</div>

its not going to be moved but its going to popup in the center of a holder div (non of the above divs) that displays a message with AJAX.

any help is appreciated

You cannot "float" a div on top of another. You would have to absolutely position them on top of one another (using z-index to determine which is on top:

HTML:

<div id="container">
  <div id="div-bottom">
    I'm on bottom!
  </div>
  <div id="div-top">
    I'm on top!
  </div>
</div>

CSS:

#container {
  position: relative;
}

#div-bottom {
  position: absolute;
  z-index: 100;
}

#div-top {
  position: absolute;
  z-index: 200;
}

Try something like that instead.

your have to z-index them both? because I tried only one z-index

No, you don't have to, but I like to explicitly define anything that could possibly be misinterpreted by an obscure browser somewhere. Implicit CSS interpretation is not reliable in all browsers, sad to day.

• 2 weeks later...

corylulu,

My understanding is that tables will not be supported in the future browsers so getting to grips with divs as early as possible is important - do you know different?

I have not heard that anywhere; I believe most all browser will continue to support "founding father" tags. Some CSS styles and JavaScript methods will depreciate though; FireFox already has depreciated several older CSS styles and JavaScript methods. ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.