any one heard of phpev5?

if so how do you use it :-[

Do you mean phpdev5? phpdev5 is just a pre-configured package for installing AMP (Apache MySQL and PHP) on Windows. There are many other pre-configured packages out there such as WAMP or XAMPP

I prefer to install AMP manually rather than using a pre-configured package.

Well what are you wanting to do? Learn PHP? If all you want to do is learn PHP then install WAMP and away you go. Before using WAMP make sure you have the documentation for it, such how to start/stop/restart WAMP, where to place your php files, how to access/run your scripts.

For learning PHP I'd suggest the first place to go is php.net reading the manual (chapters I and III) in order to learn the basics. Then search online for some tutorials, such as sitepoint.com or php-mysql-tutorials.com.

I am wanting to learn and use php

the main reasons i am trying to learn php is because i want greater user interaction with my site and many of the thing i would like to include on my site are written in php

for example i would like:

php managed mailing list

a login field and user area

etc

if you take a look at my site i would greatly apreciate your viesw on what sort of things you think i could include on the site and how to implement them as at present the whole site is written in html/css

cheers

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.