Linking tables?

sser

Hi group,

My MySQL server version is 6.

Basically, I've created a database with multiple tables and I'm trying to link/cross-reference some of the tables based on a specific index. All tables will have an ID associated with them and these IDs will be used to link them. Is it possible to achieve this?

Thanks!

I'm pretty much stuck in the assigning ids to tables stages. So far, I have:

//I have all the files pushed to an array called $all_file

for($i=0; $i<count($all_file); $i++){

$test_table = basename($all_file[$i], ".dat");

$newstring = substr($test_table, 6, 9);

echo $newstring;

$query = "CREATE TABLE `$test_table` (field1 INT, field2 CHAR(20) NOT NULL, field3 CHAR(50) NOT NULL)";

mysql_query($query);

//each table needs to have a unique identifier based on the filename

alter table '$test_table' add primary key ($newstring);

$loadsql = "LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE '$all_file[$i]' INTO table `$test_table` FIELDS TERMINATED BY ' ' LINES TERMINATED BY '\n' ";

mysql_query($loadsql);

}

I would like all tables to be associated with a key based on the filename of their associated files. But, of course I can't get the code working with the alter table function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As an example, I have tables such that:

a001

a002

b001

b003

b004

etc..

I'm trying to link tables that have similar last 3 digits, in this particular case  cross-reference a001 and b001.

I'm not sure if this is possible to make in php?

I think I'm starting to get an idea of your business logic but I think you've chosen the wrong db logic to support it. I don't think I've ever seen table names used like that. I've seen people use a third table to help handle a many to many relationship scenario. Maybe that is where you are wanting to go with this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.