Time Tick function

ggkfc

i was wondering- does anyone know how the time/tick function works in popular games like utopia and hobowars?

like you regain *energy* to do stuff, how does it work.. is it something you set onto your mysql database or something? like an autoincrement/limited script

I don't like PHP Ticks. Not many people use them IMHO.

What you might need is a frame which keeps on refreshing every so many seconds in order to increment a value in your MySQL database. Of course, before it increments it, it needs to check how long it has been since it last got incremented, so people can't just force refresh to increment manually,

ty for the reply i was reading up on it, and it seems you need at least one user online @ a time for ticks to work properly. therefor when you're just starting out it wouldn't really work. I also ready something about shell scripts and bash buy couldn't really understand it. could someone verify whether i could use a periodically run shell script to emulate a tick function?

atm, im still running my php @ local computer so how would i put a cron on that because it seems to be unix only?

(the way things are going. i may go the php option- just leave my computer on to auto-refresh all day ;))

hahaha

could you care to clarify the cron stuff for me (ive read about how it works and all that) but how would i run it on my system (homepc)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.