captcha's

play_

why does it have to be image based?

would something like "type th following numbers in the textbox: 87648" or "what is the last word of the last paragrap?" be any efficient ?

As Thorpe has said, the images can't be read through the source. If it were simply '87648: Enter these numbers into the text box' the Botscould easily do that. With capture the algorithms have to be more complex since they have to, if they can, analyze the image and guess at what the letters could be. So the more complex the image. For instance, I recently made a captcha image that has 3 different images within it, layers as it were, and 5 different captcha codes, only one of which will work. So the bot will have to decifer the correct characters from the 5 codes and try them all.

The more complex the image it is, the less likely it is to be broken by bots.

Sam

But what if i ask a question  like "who was the first president of the United States?".

i can't imagine how a bot would get past that, unless it was just inserting dictionary words into the field (kinda like bruteforce)

I don't think the first president of the US' name would be in the dictionary :P

Ease, is the answer. With a captcha image all you need is to be able to read. Whereas, with those questions you suggest not every one knows the answer (I don't think I do. =P) and most people can't be bothered to google United State presidents in order to register to your site. So it's just easier, really.

That is actually even more effective.  And you can change the question/answer if someone decides to spend time to make a bot for your site.

What I do is just have a Activation code on another page.  They enter that code and they can register.  I haven't had one bot in over a year.

But what if i ask a question  like "who was the first president of the United States?".

i can't imagine how a bot would get past that, unless it was just inserting dictionary words into the field (kinda like bruteforce)

That is actually even more effective.  And you can change the question/answer if someone decides to spend time to make a bot for your site.

What I do is just have a Activation code on another page.  They enter that code and they can register.  I haven't had one bot in over a year.

How would it be more effective than the captcha though, since with a captcha it is dynamically generated (uniquely) everytime the page loads/re-loads?

Because people write scripts to pull the info from the image.  But if you put a word somewhere on another page and you change it once in awhile, it's impossible for them to register without changing their script everytime.  It's a lot of effort that they won't normally do.  But once they figure out your image, their script will work everytime.

captcha.php

This captcha that I made isn't very simple. :P It contains 3 images layered, it contains 20 different captcha codes, only one of which works. Which the bots don't 'know' that, so they have a 1 in 20 chance of getting it right each time. If they get it wrong they have to work it out again, and have another 1 in 20 chance. Do you think it'll be breakable by bot?

Okay.

What if a random shape shows up each time the page loads?

it would be a triangle, square or circle image, and i'd just ask the user which shape the image is. Any thoughts?

ps: helraizer, when i mean't dictionary earlier, i didn't necessarily mean only dictionary words. in bruteforce, a file with dictionary words will contain names, numbers, etc.

Or what about using ajax for drag and drop? (i know this one post isn't php related, but since we're talking about captcha's, what the heck.)

User would have to drag and drop a div inside another div (kinda like those drag and drop shopping carts).

there is no way a bot could get around this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.