.htaccess subdirectories

Terrum

I have a .htaccess in one of my folders, Just a authenticator where you have to type in your username+password to get into the part of the site. There is a subfolder in the folder, How do i make that so you dont need to type a password to get into that?

Another way to explain it : Basically i got a site, with a folder in it called "login". Inside has 2 files 1 folder, index.html, .htaccess and converted. The folder "converted" has a file in it called "test.swf". So when i have the .swf of a webpage, It will not load because it says you have to enter a username and password. So to fix this (I Think), I just want it so that you dont need to type a username+password to get into that folder.

Thanks for reading.

You don't understand, It IS protected, The folder is banned from all IPs except my LAN one and the username+password is for people who want to login from any IP (i got it all working, dont worry) I just want to know how to make a subdirectory what i choose to not type the username+password, i have explained all this why i want it unprotected, I will repeat, because the swf wont load on the page because it just comes up with a username+password notice.

I think I understand pretty well.  You have a web page referring to an item that is in a protected directory, thus the user is prompted with an authentication dialog.  You do not want the user to have to authenticate to view this item.

So again, my question to you is, if you don't want the user to have to authenticate to view the .swf file, why did you place it inside of a protected directory?  Why not just place it in a public folder?

To answer your question, I'm not entirely sure.  But I would imagine if you created another .htaccess file in your "converted" directory and turned off the authentication that might help.  I would check the apache docs and the associated directives you're using.

Again, I have to wonder why you're placing something you seem to want available publicly inside of a protected directory.

I think I understand pretty well.  You have a web page referring to an item that is in a protected directory, thus the user is prompted with an authentication dialog.  You do not want the user to have to authenticate to view this item.

So again, my question to you is, if you don't want the user to have to authenticate to view the .swf file, why did you place it inside of a protected directory?  Why not just place it in a public folder?

To answer your question, I'm not entirely sure.  But I would imagine if you created another .htaccess file in your "converted" directory and turned off the authentication that might help.  I would check the apache docs and the associated directives you're using.

Again, I have to wonder why you're placing something you seem to want available publicly inside of a protected directory.

I guess it makes sense to make just another folder to put my .swfs in, Pretty stupid of me not to think of that.

Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.