Rows from 2 tables

jaymc

I am familiar with using JOIN to join fields onto a row

However, I want something a little different, not sure if it can be done

I have 2 tables, one has image comments and another has profile comments

In 1 query, I want to pull in the last 10 profile comments and last 10 image comments. Virtually, I would have 20 rows in a temp table, I would then like to order them and display the last 10 posted

Of course I can do the last bit, its just getting the 20 rows together in 1 query. Can it be done?

Ok I had a go at this and Its not doing what I want, just need to know if its the rules of UNION

I have 2 tables

1 holds profile comments

1 holds image comments

Both tables have similar fields, howeverm, the image one has a field for the image ID, and the profile one does not, but that has a field for the IP address

I need to pull out the image ID from the image comments table, but it does not exist in the profile table.

Is this impossible to do?

It would be good to have the result fill the image ID field as NULL if it doesnt exist, that way if its NULL I know it must be a profile comment, if its not, it must be an IMAGE comment, which is precicesly what I want

Any ideas?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.